Should I mention high school research in my ecs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubisco88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
---

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would think so, but I don't know how the ADCOMS will view it. Definitely put it on there for **** and giggles.

From my understanding you don't add anything from high school unless it continued from high school into college. I can't remember who told me this, it was a representative from a med school because I was at a medical conference. So I would say no

Members don't see this ad :)
The AMCAS no longer specifies "after HS" if it ever did but the advice passed down through the ages has been to limit activities to things that started during college or that were continued during college. However, I think that there are legit exceptions to the rule. Certainly, there are tons of Eagle Scouts breaking the rule every year. Anyone who was an elite athlete before attending college would not be chided for listing national competitition and I think the same can hold true for research. You tried it, were acknowledged for your efforts, and found you preferred a different type of activity in college. No problem. List it, particularly if you won awards.

My College ecs are all nonclinical and clinical volunteer activities. I did two years of research in a cell biology lab junior and senior year of highschool. I won several state and regional awards in science fairs. This is why i didn't want to do research in college. I don't enjoy it and I know I don't want to pursue a phd. Is my high school research worth mentioning?

According to LizzyM you can and should if you won these awards. Keep in mind you audience though. Some of these schools place a heavy emphasis on research and require it of their students so saying you don't like it there probably wouldn't do you any favors.