This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I even mention it at all on my app?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

moxymed

Busy crying 'n dying 'n my studiez
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't believe there is any place on an your app this would be appropriate to mention, unless it somehow ties in to why you want to study medicine and then maybe there might be a way to put it in your personal statement...but still I wouldn't do that.

With a strong upward trend your GPA is less likely to be an issue, I wouldn't go out of the way to try and explain it as that will only bring attention to it. During an interview you may get asked why your GPA was low freshman year and at that point you'd have to decide whether or not it was worth mentioning, but again I'd advise against that.

Reactions: 1 users
Deleted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I should mention I'm applying through TMDSAS, which has an optional essay (it's really not optional) regarding this. It's dubbed an optional "unique circumstance/experience" essay.

Writing Your Essays for the TMDSAS (Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service)

I think there's a way to make this work, but you will have to tread carefully and you will be asked about it. You may also need to have more 'good' time between your dark period and when you apply -- enough to show AdCom members that you are older and wiser and more bulletproof than you were then. -- To show that you're not a high-risk applicant.

There is still, I'm afraid, a strong tendency to 'blame the victim' in cases of domestic abuse. It's very difficult for someone who has never been in an abusive relationship to viscerally understand what it's like and to understand why someone puts up with it. Hence the "What kind of person puts up with...?" mindset. Even physicians are not immune to this mindset, though older and wiser ones will 'get it' just for having seen it so often. But having experienced it yourself, and having undergone counseling to come to terms with it and process your experiences (you have, haven't you?), this puts you in a much better position to empathize with a distressingly large proportion of your patients and is a very useful type of diversity to be able to bring to the table.

Do you have any ECs that build on your experience? Maybe helping on a domestic violence hotline? A women's shelter? Speaking to college groups about intimate partner violence? That would demonstrate a lot --

Edit: To poll question - Keep it brief, factual, but specific.

Reactions: 6 users
I have had a few nontrads with similar issues that we developed into workable narratives. It can be difficult to deal with the emotions it brings up in you and lack of understanding who are on the outside looking in as @DokterMom said.

Reactions: 4 users
Deleted.

Last edited:
If you were to mention it on your AMCAS, you should not go into details of course. Focus on your growth, learning, and maturing process. I doubt an interviewer would be insensitive to ask "How did you let this go on so long?" but rather ask how it affected your performance and how you coped with it. I would not mention the other medical disorders nor the autoimmune disorder as those were not the major cause of your downward trend and are extra details.

TLDR Keep it brief and vague. I also believe there is a section that asks for reasons as to why your grades were low and that is where your response should go - not a full, separate essay, nor should it be part of your personal statement.

Yes.

So, if I put it in my app as part of an explanation for my grade trend, it's open for discussion if I get an interview(?). I fully own the fact that my lack of motivation and depression are on me; however, that debacle, paired with an autoimmune disorder that worsened with depression, kind of led me down the rabbit hole. I've also had a series of medical issues regarding repeated infection (kidney, pelvic, tonsils - which are now out). I'm doing waaay better with lifestyle changes and better understanding of my disorder.

It explains what happened to your grades, and a sustained effort of excellent grades is the best way to allay any Adcom fears about your performance.

Please note: go into this eyes open. Med school is a furnace and I've seen it break even healthy students.

How much of this is relevant to my app and what is the best way to approach discussing it? Please & thank you.[/QUOTE]

I know that situation was really difficult, and I hope no one would think domestic violence is a case where someone is trying victimize themself. I worked in the ER too long, and have seen enough battered women to know otherwise. With that being said, I would not mention it personally. My younger brother was hit and killed by a car, during my first year of college. I would never mention it, or the effect it had on me. Focus more on why you're going to be a good medical student and Doctor. Knock the MCAT out of the park.

I appreciate the honest advice. I have completely processed these events, which were 5-6 years ago. I believe I can present this professionally and rationalize the role it's played. However, there are so many interview questions that could "trap me" into an unsatisfactory response. For instance, How did you let this go on so long? He was an incredibly intelligent and charming sociopath. *ding, ding* Victim card.

If I were to include this in my essay, which is a max of 2,500 words, should I be sure to not seem heated or emotional on the topic? I think my advantage would be to spin it as a learning experience, as gonnif mentioned.

What would be the right amount of detail? For instance, the physical assaults were progressively more severe, but I doubt they'd want detailed examples?

"He was an incredibly intelligent and charming sociopath."

That's how intelligent young women get drawn in... There's all this wonderful stuff at first, and all that intelligent and charming, plus most likely the subtle implications of how lucky you were because after all, you were just you and he was him! So a whole lot of build-up before the first incident -- which was probably easily rationalized. Then the gas-lighting begins. But you're still young and naive and he's still amazing in so many other ways. It's a slow build-up -- king of the frog in progressively hotter water type situation. When you're young and naive, and he's a sociopath, it's hard to see. It takes time to learn to trust your little voice, especially when that little voice keeps getting smacked down.

"
How did you let this go on so long?"

That's the hardest question in the world to answer. Partly, I think, because the answer requires you to admit to yourself that you were stupid, but NOT in the ways he keeps telling you you're stupid, but in exactly the opposite way -- that you were stupid for believing him and for doubting yourself. Eh - You know why you stayed. And As I recall, it was only a year. That's not all that long...

And by the way, it WAS a learning experience. No 'spin' to that at all. Bet you can spot a sociopath at 100 yards now :cool:

Reactions: 2 users
I just wanted to update this thread to say that I decided to apply this cycle and went ahead and included it in my "extenuating circumstances" essay. I am beyond grateful for the amazing advice I received and wanted to thank each one of you.

I minimized the actual scenario and remained vague and professional on the matter. I spent the majority explaining how I overcame it, what I learned and how it will make me a better doctor. I chose not to disclose health problems because although they are under control, adcoms have no way of feeling confident in a lifelong condition like an autoimmune disorder.

Anyways, in case anyone stumbles upon this, the major takeaways were to be prompt, professional and spend 90% of your words explaining how such a challenge could make someone a better doctor.

I'll update how it works out for interviews/acceptances if anyone cares. Cheers.

Please rehearse how you will address questions you might be asked by an interview. Run through them in your mind but don't memorize a script. Get a grip on how talking about this may make you feel during an interview and how you will handle it if you become emotional.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.