Should I mention my aspirations for military medicine in my PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnwloving

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Stopping by for some input; appreciated all the assistance in my last post! So a little background...I grew up wanting to be an Airborne Ranger in the US Army and then compromised with my parents as there is little future in the infantry once your physical health starts to decline. My father is a career serviceman and my family has a long standing history of service to the country. I would like to pursue the HPSP and serve for a while in the United States Army as a physician. However, most of the schools I am interested in attending either state their mission to have an emphasis on bringing primary care physicians to the country or physicians to under-served areas. I do have an interest in serving rural populations and the like after my time in the Army, but have concerns that stating that the military is a guiding factor for my decision to become a physician might cause issues. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

Stopping by for some input; appreciated all the assistance in my last post! So a little background...I grew up wanting to be an Airborne Ranger in the US Army and then compromised with my parents as there is little future in the infantry once your physical health starts to decline. My father is a career serviceman and my family has a long standing history of service to the country. I would like to pursue the HPSP and serve for a while in the United States Army as a physician. However, most of the schools I am interested in attending either state their mission to have an emphasis on bringing primary care physicians to the country or physicians to under-served areas. I do have an interest in serving rural populations and the like after my time in the Army, but have concerns that stating that the military is a guiding factor for my decision to become a physician might cause issues. Thoughts?
Plenty of DO students are HPSP/FAP/ or what have you. Not to mention that the military is pretty much 50/50 DO/MD; so, it's fair to say that there will most likely be DOs on staff at X COM who either served in the mil. or know physicians who have. I really don't see how it would negatively affect you

Reactions: 1 users
I would say that the armed forces are an underserved portion of the population. That is partially what I put in my PS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You will find more pro-military than anti-military ADCOMs. I did it...it's something I discussed on my interview...and I got in. Come to find out one of my interviewers was a Vietnam Army doc.

Reactions: 1 user
I say go for it. I spoke about my military aspirations in my PS, and it came up in my interview as well. (except I'm not doing HPSP, I'm doing MDSSP so I'll be in the reserves.)