Should I mention my rejection from a different school in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imwiththevision

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall

So the title of this question really says it all, but for context I applied to 2 d-schools that are in my hometown (there are only 2 in the entire area). I got rejected from one, but that's okay because the other just offered me an interview and it happens to be my dream school. During the interview, when they ask "Why X over Y school?" (because they have been known to ask why their program over the other one in the same city) should I mention that I already got rejected from the other program? Obviously I am going to mention that they are my dream school first and foremost, but when they ask specifically about the other program, would it be unforthcoming to mention this as an additional reason? Im just tryna be real here I honestly don't know why it'd be weird but just in case...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey yall

So the title of this question really says it all, but for context I applied to 2 d-schools that are in my hometown (there are only 2 in the entire area). I got rejected from one, but that's okay because the other just offered me an interview and it happens to be my dream school. During the interview, when they ask "Why X over Y school?" (because they have been known to ask why their program over the other one in the same city) should I mention that I already got rejected from the other program? Obviously I am going to mention that they are my dream school first and foremost, but when they ask specifically about the other program, would it be unforthcoming to mention this as an additional reason? Im just tryna be real here I honestly don't know why it'd be weird but just in case...
Guessing this might be UCLA vs USC? If so and if I'm making the right assumption, USC shouldn't be anyone's dream school (or NYU for that matter; not crapping on USC because I go to UCLA ;) but because their COA is insane)

Anyway, I wouldn't mention that you got rejected...... that might scream desperation (who knows) or, if that other school rejected OP, why should we accept them? Idk

Reactions: 1 user
Guessing this might be UCLA vs USC? If so and if I'm making the right assumption, USC shouldn't be anyone's dream school (or NYU for that matter; not crapping on USC because I go to UCLA ;) but because their COA is insane)

Anyway, I wouldn't mention that you got rejected...... that might scream desperation (who knows) or, if that other school rejected OP, why should we accept them? Idk
Nah that makes sense, it's actually UCSF vs UoP but that was a nice guess lol. Guess I should just keep my mouth shut thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only if asked. You can safely assume that the school in question is aware of your status at other schools.

Was it UOP that offered an interview? No one in the UOP thread has reported rejections, that's why I am curious.

Hi,
I got acceptance from USC and UOP, can you please provide some insight on which would be a better pick? It would be super helpful if you could state the reasons for preferring one over the other.
Thank you

Hi,
I got acceptance from USC and UOP, can you please provide some insight on which would be a better pick? It would be super helpful if you could state the reasons for preferring one over the other.
Thank you
go to UOP

Hi,
Thank you
Neither are great since they're both wildly expensive, but UoP would be the better of the two since you'd finish sooner = can start working faster. But you should also do your own research on the programs, location, opportunities, etc.

Only if asked. You can safely assume that the school in question is aware of your status at other schools.
How would other schools be aware of this information? Does this show on AADSAS?

I wouldn't think they spend time discussing potential applicants to their schools with each other

If they specifically ask about the other program, of course you have to answer honestly. Remember that interviews are a way for admissions committees to know you as a person and to determine whether you possess those essential qualities they value in applicants. Being mature and professional means being honest. That being said, if this is your dream school, your discussion should not focus on why X over Y school, but rather, on highlighting those aspects of this school that you like and showing your alignment with them through your previous experiences. It should be clear through your answers that this is your top choice and the reasons behind your decision. If this was always your top choice, then being rejected from the other school does not really affect your preference, and you should be able to successfully explain this. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Neither are great since they're both wildly expensive, but UoP would be the better of the two since you'd finish sooner = can start working faster. But you should also do your own research on the programs, location, opportunities, etc.
unrelated to the thread but @artist2022 , do u mind sending me a dm? i got accepted into UCLA dental but have some questions. i would love your insight :giggle: