Should I mention on Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tesfawMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I received a warning/censure from my college for underage drinking. Should I mention this on an application or not?

Can any medical students relate to this experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it official? Like on your school record? if so, then yes.

Yes it is. The lady told me that academic records and student conduct records are kept separate and colleges don't even look at alcohol warnings. What specifically does the application ask? Because if it asks if I've been disciplined than I would answer no because I only received a warning.

Members don't see this ad :)
What specifically does the application ask? Because if it asks if I've been disciplined than I would answer no because I only received a warning.

On p.29 of the AMCAS instruction manual it states:
Institutional Action
You must answer 'Yes' to this question if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw. You must answer 'Yes' even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted from your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition.

If you answer Yes, you may use the space provided to explain; this space is 1325 characters or approximately one-quarter of a page in length. If you are not certain whether or not you have been the subject of an institutional action, contact the registrar, student affairs officer, or other appropriate party at the institution for confirmation of your record.

Failure to provide accurate information in answering this question or, if applicable, in completing the form provided by the school, will result in an investigation. Medical schools require you to answer this question accurately and provide all relevant information. Medical schools understand that many individuals learn from the past and emerge stronger as a result. Full disclosure will enable the medical schools to more effectively evaluate this information within the context of your credentials.

Ok that clears it up. Now the question becomes how significantly is this going to impact my application. Would it be a red flag?

It sure won't be a plus, but I don't think it'll be a deal-breaker by any stretch of the imagination. I would expect that most AdComs give you a little wiggle room for 'kids will be kids'.

It sure won't be a plus, but I don't think it'll be a deal-breaker by any stretch of the imagination. I would expect that most AdComs give you a little wiggle room for 'kids will be kids'.

I really hope that they understand it is COLLEGE. It can't always be work...their needs to be play albeit safe, non stupid play, but nonetheless we all make mistakes.

Can any medical school matriculants relate to my experience?