Medical Should I mention school-specific story in primary/secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently writing my PS and one of the stories I would like to include in my application is about a medical condition I had as a child. I received the diagnosis, treatment, etc. for this at my in-state medical school's hospital, which is my top choice school.

I'm not sure if I should include this in my PS as I feel like it might pull more weight if I talk about this in the school-specific secondary essays for this school ("Why ___ school?"). But I'm also not even positive I should put this in my application at all as I could see it being taken the wrong way (such as not being a good enough reason to want to go to this school for, too young to have a significant impact, etc.).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Seems like pandering

Members don't see this ad.

So I might be better off just presenting the story in my personal statement as one of my "Why Medicine?" explanations and not even saying anything about who or where I went to for care?

I also work in the OR at this hospital and a few of the docs that I work with have said they read personal statements for both the medical school and Gen Surg/Anesthesia residency applications. I've wanted to get their thoughts on this too but thinking similarly to your response, not sure if this would appear poorly.
Yes to the first question.

The OR work can definitely be a tie into the school in the secondary prompt!

Status
Not open for further replies.