Should I mention that I was rejected from my SMP three times before being accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedtriguy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in the process of writing a "tell us about a challenge you have overcome" essay, and I am wondering if I should mention that I was rejected from my SMP three times (while taking postbacc/grad courses) before I was eventually accepted. I met with the admissions advisor each time after I was rejected to go over what I could do to improve, but was not really taken seriously because my undergrad GPA was very low and this was a program that boasted that almost all of its graduates were accepted into a medical school, so I was seen as too big of a risk. I eventually just started taking courses from their program(as a postbacc there were basically no restrictions on what courses I could take), while enrolled in 15 hours a semester and maintaining a GPA of about 3.9. As I earned A's in all of their courses, I was retroactively given credit towards the SMP after being accepted, so I earned my degree in half the time of most students in the program.

My question is, do you all think this story shows determination, or does it seem like I don't know when to quit? I know it eventually worked out for me, but in hindsight I probably should have just found a different SMP that would take me. Is this a good story, or should I leave it all out and just say " I overcame my low grades with years of grade repair and ultimately received my Master's degree"

Members don't see this ad.

I like it. Is the SMP writing you a letter of reference and, if so, would they share your spin on it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen adcoms on this site suggest to stay away from academic challenges/rejections for this kind of prompt. They want to see how you handle adversity outside of an academic setting.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen adcoms on this site suggest to stay away from academic challenges/rejections for this kind of prompt. They want to see how you handle adversity outside of an academic setting.
I had thought they usually meant like hard finals or failing a test, I think this is similar but different enough! but the adcoms know best lol

Reactions: 1 user
I like it. Perseverance is a good trait.

I like it. Is the SMP writing you a letter of reference and, if so, would they share your spin on it?
Thanks for the response! I did not get a letter directly from the program, but several of my letters are from professors who taught courses in the program.