Should I mention that I was rejected from my SMP three times before being accepted?

Sep 10, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So I am in the process of writing a "tell us about a challenge you have overcome" essay, and I am wondering if I should mention that I was rejected from my SMP three times (while taking postbacc/grad courses) before I was eventually accepted. I met with the admissions advisor each time after I was rejected to go over what I could do to improve, but was not really taken seriously because my undergrad GPA was very low and this was a program that boasted that almost all of its graduates were accepted into a medical school, so I was seen as too big of a risk. I eventually just started taking courses from their program(as a postbacc there were basically no restrictions on what courses I could take), while enrolled in 15 hours a semester and maintaining a GPA of about 3.9. As I earned A's in all of their courses, I was retroactively given credit towards the SMP after being accepted, so I earned my degree in half the time of most students in the program.

My question is, do you all think this story shows determination, or does it seem like I don't know when to quit? I know it eventually worked out for me, but in hindsight I probably should have just found a different SMP that would take me. Is this a good story, or should I leave it all out and just say " I overcame my low grades with years of grade repair and ultimately received my Master's degree"

MyOdyssey

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I like it. Is the SMP writing you a letter of reference and, if so, would they share your spin on it?

About the Ads
Jan 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've seen adcoms on this site suggest to stay away from academic challenges/rejections for this kind of prompt. They want to see how you handle adversity outside of an academic setting.

Reactions: 1 user

Lampy

2+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've seen adcoms on this site suggest to stay away from academic challenges/rejections for this kind of prompt. They want to see how you handle adversity outside of an academic setting.
I had thought they usually meant like hard finals or failing a test, I think this is similar but different enough! but the adcoms know best lol

Reactions: 1 user
Sep 10, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I like it. Is the SMP writing you a letter of reference and, if so, would they share your spin on it?
Thanks for the response! I did not get a letter directly from the program, but several of my letters are from professors who taught courses in the program.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.