Should I Mention This In Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Weeping Pustule

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some opinions on my situation.
AMCAS is in, secondaries in, now just playing the waiting game. The thing is, I wouldn't be playing the waiting game if it weren't for the MCAT. I was in an early assurance program through a medical school and met all requirements but the MCAT. After coming one point short of requirements, I was released from the program over the summer and am attempting the traditional route. My pre-med advisor told me the dismissal didn't count as "institutional action" so I left it out of my apps.

Finally, the question:
Should I get interviews, do I mention my role in, and eventual dismissal from, the program?

The way I see it, mentioning it could go one of two ways:
1.) Wow, this kid already had an in at another med school and showed "doctorish" qualities even out of high school; we should take a further look at him to see what they saw.
2.) This kid already had his chance and he basically blew it...NEXT!

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for some opinions on my situation.
AMCAS is in, secondaries in, now just playing the waiting game. The thing is, I wouldn't be playing the waiting game if it weren't for the MCAT. I was in an early assurance program through a medical school and met all requirements but the MCAT. After coming one point short of requirements, I was released from the program over the summer and am attempting the traditional route. My pre-med advisor told me the dismissal didn't count as "institutional action" so I left it out of my apps.

Finally, the question:
Should I get interviews, do I mention my role in, and eventual dismissal from, the program?

The way I see it, mentioning it could go one of two ways:
1.) Wow, this kid already had an in at another med school and showed "doctorish" qualities even out of high school; we should take a further look at him to see what they saw.
2.) This kid already had his chance and he basically blew it...NEXT!

Any thoughts?

Even though I don't necessarily think you "blew it", I think adcoms may look on it in the second scenario.

My honest advice would be don't unnecessarily introduce anything which could be associated with you in a negative fashion. With thousands of applicants applying to some schools, the last thing you want to do is give the school a reason to question your application or outright reject you. Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared to explain the situation maturley if it comes up. DO NOT come across as defensive. I do not think you "blew it" by missing the MCAT cut-off by one point. Explain the circumstances. Explain how this has given you the opportunity to explore other schools and how glad you are that the chance to apply to their school has arisen. Perhaps you have learned something about yourself through the experience.

Personally, I wouldn't mention it, but, of course, it's your call.

What was the mcat cutoff...I thought for programs like these it was generally pretty low...in the 20s??

I'd be more worried about getting into schools at all if your mcat is really low

No matter how you spin it, it's not a positive. Only bring it up if they begin to prod (I don't know why they would).

Even this statement: "Wow, this kid already had an in at another med school and showed "doctorish" qualities even out of high school; we should take a further look at him to see what they saw." Isn't necessarily positive because most people in high school don't really want to be a doctor, they just think they do; hence the huge number of premeds in freshman year.

Anyways, only bring it up if you have to.

That's idiocy. You're trying to sell yourself by highlighting that you were rejected?

It's like trying to pick up a girl by telling her about the one you spent six months chasing who never gave you the light of day.

That's idiocy. You're trying to sell yourself by highlighting that you were rejected?

It's like trying to pick up a girl by telling her about the one you spent six months chasing who never gave you the light of day.
she never gave you the light of day? does that mean she kept you in a cage in a windowless basement for 6 months? :p

I agree with the others who have said that you shouldn't mention it. Your dismissal from the program is negative. Emphasize the positive aspects of your application instead.

she never gave you the light of day? does that mean she kept you in a cage in a windowless basement for 6 months? :p

I think she meant to say the time of day.

I had one guy try that. Needless to say, we're still "just friends" :barf:

And I agree... telling them you were rejected is a silly idea.