Should I mention this in my pre-interview LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So out of the ten schools I have left, I still feel like I may have a shot for II at maybe two of them, so I am determined to write a LOI/update to them. I have 1II and 14R so far this cycle. If I get an II and ultimately accepted by any of these two schools, I will matriculated without a doubt. So my question is whether I should mention anything about my app cycle and that if accepted I will definitely matriculated along with my desire and updates?

Thanks.

Without stats and saying which schools you will send the LOI to, we can't really offer help. Who knows if the schools are even receptive to the LOI.

That being said, I doubt saying you have 14 rejections will help your case at any school. Maybe send an update and list specific reasons why you would love to attend that school. At the end, tell them you would be honored to be invited to interview. What's the worst that could happen?

Don't mention that you've gotten 14 rejections, because that will make the school think, "whoa, what is it about this applicant that caused them to get so many rejections..."

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be extremely honored to receive an interview invite if given one. And if accepted, I will not even hesitate to matriculate?
You're going to include this for two schools? What if you don't like what you see at the interview? What if a third school offers you a full ride? And if both accept you, what then?

I think that sending a love letter to two schools is fine, but I'd down-tone the language to that of a Letter of Interest (rather than a Letter of Intent), supporting your statement with solid reasons for why you are enamored.

I'm waiting to hear back from those schools as well. And you have better stats than me. :(

Obviously I won't mention that I have 14 rejections, but simply something along the line that my application cycle hasn't been going well, and that I will be extremely honored to receive an interview invite if given one. And if accepted, I will not even hesitate to matriculate?

this doesn't specifically mention your 14 rejections but still sounds every bit as desperate. if i was an adcom i'd probably toss you straight in the rejection bin after seeing this, to put you out of your misery. just send a standard letter of interest. there is no way that your poor cycle is going to help you here.