Should I name the school to which I've been accepted in a letter of intent?

Jan 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've been accepted at School B, and have been waitlisted at School A which is my first choice medical school. I am currently writing a letter of intent to School A, and I am planning on mentioning that I have been accepted to another MD program, however after scrolling through tons of content and opinions both on SDN and elsewhere, I can't find consensus as to whether to explicitly name School B in the letter of intent or not. I've found several people who are of the opinion that it is in poor taste to name School B in the letter, but I know for instance, that @Goro always says "Yale wants to know if I've been accepted at Harvard." Unfortunately I'm not dealing with any Harvards or Yales, but School A & B are ranked very similarly. I also don't know if the implementation of the Choose Your Medical School tool affects the majority opinion on this matter, as a lot of opinions I've read are from pre-2019.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Osaka, Japan
mehlmanmedical.com
I've been accepted at School B, and have been waitlisted at School A which is my first choice medical school. I am currently writing a letter of intent to School A, and I am planning on mentioning that I have been accepted to another MD program, however after scrolling through tons of content and opinions both on SDN and elsewhere, I can't find consensus as to whether to explicitly name School B in the letter of intent or not. I've found several people who are of the opinion that it is in poor taste to name School B in the letter, but I know for instance, that @Goro always says "Yale wants to know if I've been accepted at Harvard." Unfortunately I'm not dealing with any Harvards or Yales, but School A & B are ranked very similarly. I also don't know if the implementation of the Choose Your Medical School tool affects the majority opinion on this matter, as a lot of opinions I've read are from pre-2019.
Couldn't imagine that would matter even 0.1% in terms of affecting outcome. And even if it did affect outcome adversely, that's not a place you'd want or need to attend then.

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
In this situation, it's not going to matter whether you will name the school or not. A is not going to care that you have an acceptance at B.

Reactions: 2 users

Med Ed

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Why is School A your first choice?

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
Jan 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Why is School A your first choice?
Location - large circle of friends/mentors/support in this city, prominent emphasis on public health within the curriculum - smack dab in the middle of a rich ecosystem of varying populations and social determinants of health, absolutely love the med school facilities + hospital apparatus
In this situation, it's not going to matter whether you will name the school or not. A is not going to care that you have an acceptance at B.
Thank you! And just to be clear, School B is an in-state option for me. School A won't care that I am willing to yield a very comparable in-state option for them?

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Location - large circle of friends/mentors/support in this city, prominent emphasis on public health within the curriculum - smack dab in the middle of a rich ecosystem of varying populations and social determinants of health, absolutely love the med school facilities + hospital apparatus

Thank you! And just to be clear, School B is an in-state option for me. School A won't care that I am willing to yield a very comparable in-state option for them?
Unless you're a superstar, then no.

Reactions: 1 user

ruledaworlds

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I went through a similar scenario last year. I explicitly told mid-tier school B that I was accepted to mid-tier school A in a letter of intent and I was accepted to school B 2-3 weeks later. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users

Med Ed

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

The large circle of friends/mentors/support in the city is the most compelling aspect. Many schools tout their curricula, but the functional differences between them are usually rather small.

I would not bother to name School B. Just say that you were fortunate to receive an acceptance to another medical school, but because of [reasons cited above] you would go to A.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.