Should I name the school to which I've been accepted in a letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaddingBreak

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted at School B, and have been waitlisted at School A which is my first choice medical school. I am currently writing a letter of intent to School A, and I am planning on mentioning that I have been accepted to another MD program, however after scrolling through tons of content and opinions both on SDN and elsewhere, I can't find consensus as to whether to explicitly name School B in the letter of intent or not. I've found several people who are of the opinion that it is in poor taste to name School B in the letter, but I know for instance, that @Goro always says "Yale wants to know if I've been accepted at Harvard." Unfortunately I'm not dealing with any Harvards or Yales, but School A & B are ranked very similarly. I also don't know if the implementation of the Choose Your Medical School tool affects the majority opinion on this matter, as a lot of opinions I've read are from pre-2019.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted at School B, and have been waitlisted at School A which is my first choice medical school. I am currently writing a letter of intent to School A, and I am planning on mentioning that I have been accepted to another MD program, however after scrolling through tons of content and opinions both on SDN and elsewhere, I can't find consensus as to whether to explicitly name School B in the letter of intent or not. I've found several people who are of the opinion that it is in poor taste to name School B in the letter, but I know for instance, that @Goro always says "Yale wants to know if I've been accepted at Harvard." Unfortunately I'm not dealing with any Harvards or Yales, but School A & B are ranked very similarly. I also don't know if the implementation of the Choose Your Medical School tool affects the majority opinion on this matter, as a lot of opinions I've read are from pre-2019.
Couldn't imagine that would matter even 0.1% in terms of affecting outcome. And even if it did affect outcome adversely, that's not a place you'd want or need to attend then.

Reactions: 1 user
In this situation, it's not going to matter whether you will name the school or not. A is not going to care that you have an acceptance at B.

Reactions: 2 users
Why is School A your first choice?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is School A your first choice?
Location - large circle of friends/mentors/support in this city, prominent emphasis on public health within the curriculum - smack dab in the middle of a rich ecosystem of varying populations and social determinants of health, absolutely love the med school facilities + hospital apparatus
In this situation, it's not going to matter whether you will name the school or not. A is not going to care that you have an acceptance at B.
Thank you! And just to be clear, School B is an in-state option for me. School A won't care that I am willing to yield a very comparable in-state option for them?

Location - large circle of friends/mentors/support in this city, prominent emphasis on public health within the curriculum - smack dab in the middle of a rich ecosystem of varying populations and social determinants of health, absolutely love the med school facilities + hospital apparatus

Thank you! And just to be clear, School B is an in-state option for me. School A won't care that I am willing to yield a very comparable in-state option for them?
Unless you're a superstar, then no.

Reactions: 1 user
I went through a similar scenario last year. I explicitly told mid-tier school B that I was accepted to mid-tier school A in a letter of intent and I was accepted to school B 2-3 weeks later. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users

The large circle of friends/mentors/support in the city is the most compelling aspect. Many schools tout their curricula, but the functional differences between them are usually rather small.

I would not bother to name School B. Just say that you were fortunate to receive an acceptance to another medical school, but because of [reasons cited above] you would go to A.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users