Should I not go to USC and Touro interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KenAzTorch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essentially I'm not too sure what my logic was picking these schools as I'm from the Midwest. I have had 1 interview so far at Iowa and enjoyed it. In my opinion, USC and Touro tuition is too high. Anybody have any feedback? Technically, I know almost nothing about Touro. Would you guys go or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If you have no intention on paying the high tuition for those schools then why waste money, time and effort going to the interviews? This is especially true if you feel like you already nailed your first interview. Just my opinion.

I would still attend both interview regardless.

From a risk-reward perspective, would you rather forego a few hundred dollars or the opportunity to attend dental school next year?

Attending all of your interviews, if financially feasible, will maximize your chances of being to attend a dental school next year.

You've already committed the $98 and supplemental fee, why stop now?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You've already committed the $98 and supplemental fee, why stop now?

Classic sunken cost trap. $98 is very little in the scheme of dental school, and it's worth nothing once it's already spent. If OP knows he/she won't be going to these schools, it's best to just cancel and move forward--so long as he/she is prepared to wait another year in the case of rejection this cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Essentially I'm not too sure what my logic was picking these schools as I'm from the Midwest. I have had 1 interview so far at Iowa and enjoyed it. In my opinion, USC and Touro tuition is too high. Anybody have any feedback? Technically, I know almost nothing about Touro. Would you guys go or no?

Would you go to either if you don't get into Iowa, or other midwestern schools to which you've applied? If the answer is no, then save your time and money and do not bother. But if the answer is yes, then consider going.

AT LEAST schedule them for post-dec interviews. I really wanted to turn three of my interviews down, but I didn't want to take the risk and I'm attending all of my interviews, except I scheduled LECOM for post-dec.

Classic sunken cost trap. $98 is very little in the scheme of dental school, and it's worth nothing once it's already spent. If OP knows he/she won't be going to these schools, it's best to just cancel and move forward--so long as he/she is prepared to wait another year in the case of rejection this cycle.

Yes, but the concept behind the sunken cost trap is applicable to situations where your reward profile is relatively "limited" and somewhat proportionate to your investment.

In the case of dental school admissions, the "reward" is disproportionate to your marginal investment contribution.

The right way to think about it is in terms of ignoring all sunk costs and to evaluate the return profile of your decision relative to any future marginal investment.

I should have elaborated further and described it in layperson terms.

$300 for a chance at a lifelong career. Versus saving $300 and potentially losing a year of time if you're not admitted or having to pursue an alternative career.

Any rational individual who does not have high certainty as to where their chips would fall would rationally choose to mitigate their risk by attending the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but the concept behind the sunken cost trap is applicable to situations where your reward profile is relatively "limited" and somewhat proportionate to your investment.

In the case of dental school admissions, the "reward" is disproportionate to your marginal investment contribution.

The right way to think about it is in terms of ignoring all sunk costs and to evaluate the return profile of your decision relative to any future marginal investment.

I should have elaborated further and described it in layperson terms.

$300 for a chance at a lifelong career. Versus saving $300 and potentially losing a year of time if you're not admitted or having to pursue an alternative career.

Any rational individual who does not have high certainty as to where their chips would fall would rationally choose to mitigate their risk by attending the interview.

I'm going off the assumption that OP has no intention of going to either school regardless of circumstance, something which I thought was apparent in my original comment. In your terms: no return profile. Sorry if my lay speech confused you.

I'm going off the assumption that OP has no intention of going to either school regardless of circumstance, something which I thought was apparent in my original comment. In your terms: no return profile. Sorry if my lay speech confused you.

Who knows what the OP wants...I know I'm not good enough to be able to choose from dental schools...I'll take what I can get :)

Can you see yourself actually going to these schools? If you are only accepted to Touro then you would ultimately have to attend. Schools usually frown upon applicants who defer acceptances in the follow application cycle.

Who knows what the OP wants...I know I'm not good enough to be able to choose from dental schools...I'll take what I can get :)

Makes sense!

I think OP sees himself in a similar situation as I do. I'm cancelling an OOS interview because I know that my in-state school is interested in me. Though I don't know for sure that I'll get in this cycle, I'm willing to wait another year to forego OOS tuition, which would be somewhere in the order of 140k more debt over four years. I applied there originally because I didn't have any idea what my chances were, but now that I know I have a good chance with my state school, I feel confident in cancelling. I understand how some see it as brash, but I don't think it's an altogether irrational decision as this particular OOS school was my "if all else fails" school.

Makes sense!

I think OP sees himself in a similar situation as I do. I'm cancelling an OOS interview because I know that my in-state school is interested in me. Though I don't know for sure that I'll get in this cycle, I'm willing to wait another year to forego OOS tuition, which would be somewhere in the order of 140k more debt over four years. I applied there originally because I didn't have any idea what my chances were, but now that I know I have a good chance with my state school, I feel confident in cancelling. I understand how some see it as brash, but I don't think it's an altogether irrational decision as this particular OOS school was my "if all else fails" school.

I have no idea why there is an open-mouthed smiley between "forego" and "OOS" but I'm going with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go. You have come so far in the app cycle, why stop now? If nothing, you will learn and have a good time travelling to those places.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, there is a way for you to make this into a WIN-WIN situation. Just follow the advice quoted below:

AT LEAST schedule them for post-dec interviews. I really wanted to turn three of my interviews down, but I didn't want to take the risk and I'm attending all of my interviews, except I scheduled LECOM for post-dec.

^The above is exactly what I would do.

OP, there is a way for you to make this into a WIN-WIN situation. Just follow the advice quoted below:

^The above is exactly what I would do.

Agreed, it's probably one of the better strategies. However, must keep in mind that many schools will have filled a large portion of their class by Dec. 1. I would say all else equal, your odds of earning a spot would be better with a pre Dec. 1 interview. Of course, plenty of people are admitted after Dec. 1 as well.

Assuming 100 spots with 60 spots allocated by Dec.1, competing for 60 spots sounds better than competing for the remaining 40 spots.

The limiting factor seems to be money...but when money's tight... :/

However, must keep in mind that many schools will have filled a large portion of their class by Dec. 1.

I don't think this is something to be concerned about in this particular case.

Expensive (or new) schools like USC and Touro have lower yield on their offers of acceptance, and as a result, they rely heavily on post-Decs to round out the class.

I don't think this is something to be concerned about in this particular case.

Expensive (or new) schools like USC and Touro have lower yield on their offers of acceptance, and as a result, they rely heavily on post-Decs to round out the class.

Definitely true, but a chance is a chance :)

Hopefully won't have to change my name to dental2022 :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Touro is like 350 of you took out everything. It's a lot cheaper than USC. Issue is that it's a new program.

With only 1 school I'd go to their interviews.

I've heard that Touro might be giving out significant scholarships to good applicants as a bribe to get their program rolling. Can't confirm, but heard it second-hand. I think it would be unwise to turn down a Touro interview simply because you don't want to pay the sticker price. (There are many other reasons you might avoid going there, however.) Don't expect it to follow traditional financial practices.

I'd schedule for post-Dec interviews. But I also wouldn't have applied to Touro to begin with, but that's just me. Best of luck to you with Iowa.

Thanks for the input guys. I might go against the grain here, but I decided not to go to either. I'd rather have someone from California or New York get the interviews. The Midwest is way more comfortable for me. I like to gamble so if Iowa is the only interview I get this cycle, so be it. The thrill of acceptance will be that much more sweet. If not then another year of wait wouldn't be so bad, I will play a lot of COD4 remastered in the meantime :corny:

Thanks for the input guys. I might go against the grain here, but I decided not to go to either. I'd rather have someone from California or New York get the interviews. The Midwest is way more comfortable for me. I like to gamble so if Iowa is the only interview I get this cycle, so be it. The thrill of acceptance will be that much more sweet. If not then another year of wait wouldn't be so bad, I will play a lot of COD4 remastered in the meantime :corny:

I'M SO DISAPPOINTED IN YOU. SUCH A BAD DECISION. SO SO BAD... You should play BF1 instead of COD4 (see what I did there)?

But I do wish you the best of luck this cycle

The remastered version is way too good to pass up. I'm picking up my copy today! You know what is funny? My priorities.
Go to Dental School Interviews: NO
Play COD4 remastered: Yes