Should I pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sorrygoogle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting an A- in my bioorganic chem class which is higher than expected. But this grade will drop my GPA to a 3.73. if I pass/fail instead It will be a 3.74. I feel like A- is good and better than seeing a P/F on my transcript, but I want my GPA to stay high, what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
The default assumption is that you take a class P/F to mask a poor grade, which an A- is not. Especially since this sounds like an upper level science class, you should probably take the A-.

Reactions: 2 users
The default assumption is that you take a class P/F to mask a poor grade, which an A- is not. Especially since this sounds like an upper level science class, you should probably take the A-.
Ok interesting, I thought with COVID that most schools wont care about a P/F because it's not a pre-req or anything. So I wasn't sure if I should stay with the higher GPA or a letter grade

Members don't see this ad :)
3.73 and 3.74 are basically the same number, whereas an A- and P/F are not. If I were you I'd keep the letter grade.

Reactions: 1 users
Orgo is a weed-out class for many pre-med. You did very well. Put it on your transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
Going off this thread. In non STEM classes, what grade should you take the pass fail? If a B were to weigh down my gpa a bit would a pass be fine for that? to put it in perspective I may be getting as low as a C- or as high as a B- in my lit course this semester.

Something I've been wondering, p/f was created really for students who were affected by COVID-19. In my opinion, it looks like students are taking advantage of the system by taking letter grades for every class but only p/f one class. Doesn't that just look like someone who was just trying to hide a low grade?
Absolutely!!! That's the whole point, and what every single poster seems to miss when they ask the question.

A single class doesn't move the needle on a 6, 8 or more semester GPA, but they seem to worry about the optics of a 0.01 move one way or the other. What they miss is that any reader would assume a single P (rather than a whole semester's worth, which would be the case if the school went to a mandatory P/F) is masking a C, since most people wouldn't bother masking an A-, or even a B-.

So, in the end, they are optically gaining 0.01 on a GPA while at the same time optically turning a B into a C! Oh, and none of this is going to make any difference at all to an adcom in the context of an entire application, which is what the adcoms keep stressing when they answer the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users