• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Should I postpone my test date?

BioPsychotic

• Apr 6, 2020
    1. Pre-Medical
      Hi everyone,

I’m currently registered to take the MCAT on March 13. I've taken 3 Kaplan full-length exams these past 3 weekends. Based on the scores, I'm wondering if I should postpone my test date.

Here are my score trends:

Kaplan FL1: 504 (125/126/126/127)
      Kaplan FL2: 508 (126/127/127/128)
      Kaplan FL3: 506 (127/128/124/127)

I think fatigue played a small part in my decreased score today. This was my first week with classes in full swing, and I'm realizing that it takes a good amount of discipline to balance a full-time course load with MCAT studying.

I'm aiming for a 515+.

I'm currently taking 12 credit hours & am planning to apply in the upcoming application cycle. I'm wondering if I should reschedule to April or May in order to give myself ample time to get to my target score. Registration opens on Feb. 17 for April/May/June, so I have 1 more weekend (i.e. 1 more full-length) before I need to decide.

I'd also welcome any general advice on balancing classes & studying, Kaplan full-length scores, etc.

Thank you in advance!

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
      Vendor
      2+ Year Member
      Apr 25, 2019
      www.medschooltutors.com
      1. Medical Student
      2. Resident [Any Field]
      3. Attending Physician
        Aiming for a 515 I would consider pushing it back. Typically you don't want to take the exam until you have a few data points in your goal zone. Now you will get a little love just by doing more studying this month, but 7 points in a month while trying to balance a full course load may be tough sledding.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
        Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user

BioPsychotic

• Apr 6, 2020
        1. Pre-Medical
          Aiming for a 515 I would consider pushing it back. Typically you don't want to take the exam until you have a few data points in your goal zone. Now you will get a little love just by doing more studying this month, but 7 points in a month while trying to balance a full course load may be tough sledding.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
          Med School Tutors
          Thank you for the advice! I'm probably going to push back to either April or (at the latest) May.

SunMouse

not actually a mouse
          2+ Year Member
        • Aug 16, 2019
          1. Medical Student
            Have you taken any AAMC practice exams yet? One thing to consider is that the Kaplan ones may not really reflect your scoring potential, it seems generally accepted that only the AAMC FLs are good predictors (and it was certainly true for me). I never managed to score above 508 on Kaplan exams, and actually scared myself by getting a ~506 on a third-party FL a week before my exam, while consistently scoring in the 515+ range on AAMC FLs.

Of course don’t take the exam until you’re ready and scoring in the range you want, but taking an AAMC practice exam at this point might help you better gauge your readiness.

About the Ads

LaughingGas10

2+ Year Member
            Mar 29, 2019
            1. Attending Physician
              take at least 1 AAMC full length test and see where you are at. that will give you a rough idea of whether to take the test. Dont take too many of the AAMC tests , if you are not sure, you may need these for later since they appear to be the best barometer for test performance.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.