Should I postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmesba2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read some threads here now and then, but I've never posted or joined until today... Thank for all the info! Anyways, I'm starting to get worried. I'm scheduled to take my mcat of the 29th, but I'm not sure if I should postpone or not. I took kaplan over the summer, but didn't really work hard at it. I've been studying for about a week, and have another 3 weeks if I want to go ahead with it. I took my first full length practice yesterday (kaplan practice 1), and got a 27 (VR: 10 B: 9 P: 8). I'm a fairly successful crammer, if that helps. Do you guys think i can bump my score up by at least 3 points in 3 weeks? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few things to keep in mind when making this decision.

1. Kaplan FL #1 is MUCH easier than their other tests.
2. Kaplan VR is a poor predictor of your actual VR score. The AAMC FLs are tops here
3. Kaplan slightly inflates their scores with a generous curve. This is especially evident in the sciences.

So overall, if you really want to push it, take another test and see how you do. Most people can't cram for the MCAT. They may get lucky and be tested on subjects they're strong in or crash and burn. Again, most simply crash and burn by cramming for the MCAT.