ES2

Jul 9, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
My ochem teacher had all his notes and practice material online. I was able to study it for a month before classes started and did exceptionally well in the class, even got a LOR from him. It's an approach that worked for me, but to each his own.

rolliespring

Gin no Samurai
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2012
Edo
Status
Medical Student
I didn't pre-study but I aced the class. Try and talk to some upperclassmen who took it before and see what they think. At our school orgo lab is separate from orgo1&2 and my orgo lab professor was super hard. I think professors certainly matter.

Jan 10, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Read O-chem as a second language.
Echo this. If you feel so inclined read the first chapter or two before school starts, but not necessary. Just use it for class and you'll be fine.

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Nah. Just stay away from school related stuff until classes begin. Doing practice problems and tests during your Christmas break is unnecessary, unless, I suppose, that is your thing.

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
No. Ochem is easy. I honestly don't understand the reputation at all. It just requires you to use your brain a bit beyond memorization. I guess that's too much for many life science majors.
Wow d00d u must be rly smart IRL lol

Anyway OP please don't pre-study for an undergrad class. You aren't even supposed to pre-study for Med school for goodness sake. I'm sure you can find something much more interesting and worthwhile to do during your time off

Nov 19, 2013
Status
Medical Student
i considered doing this, but i am so glad that I did not. honestly it is not as bad as everyone says; just try and go into it without any preconceptions about it, give it your best, and you'll be fine.

chillaxbro

7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2012
Status
Pre-health Advisor
Wouldn't hurt but listening to ochem lectures isnt a good way to learn it

LostinLift

5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
O chem is not advanced stuff, but if you are really nervous about it then I would recommend taking a very general look through the basics and have a decent grasp going into it. Science classes become so much easier when you are familiar with the topic already, so while I don't recommend "pre-studying", listening to some o-chem lectures and getting a grasp on terminology and reaction basics might help you or at the very least make you feel more confident.

Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
The best thing to do is just relax right now and let yourself mentally recover. O-chem isn't nearly as scary as everyone says if you put the time and practice in. I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people that tell you it's crazy are ones that didn't put good time into it and the other 10% are ones that just can't grasp it. Either way that's why it's a weed out class because those people aren't fit for the profession you are trying to enter. So just take a deep breathe, relax and enjoy your time off. When the semester rolls around manage your time properly and don't waste it, study hard and you will do just fine!

Good luck!

Apr 12, 2012
Earth
Status
Non-Student
I'm not sure how anyone here can give you a definite answer; this is something that strikes me as being highly dependent on the individual student. How are your other science grades? Did you receive "A" grades in general chemistry? How many credit hours are you taking? What other courses are you taking and do they have a reputation on your campus for being more time consuming than your other science coursework? You know yourself better than any of us, so you are probably the best person to answer your own question (and I know that sounds a bit flakey, but it is true).

Edited to add: I'm not a risk taker. If there was any doubt about my ability, I would at least read some of the materials suggested by the others in this thread and peruse the first few chapters of your textbook to give you a head start in the class. If you have time to work out all of the problems in the back of each chapter, that would be even better. It is better to be safe than sorry. Just be careful not to burn yourself out over the break.

musicalfeet

5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2013
Status
If you're really worried, read Klein, practice resonance structures and memorize properties. That's like half of orgo I...and that stuff (at least for my class) will come back and haunt you again and again...

Espadaleader

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Status
Medical Student
About a week before class started I watched the first few sections for ochem on khan academy, made an A in the class and really understand the material. It was easier to keep up and read ahead having a solid foundation.
I echo this. Watch the Khan Academy videos on orgo about a week before school starts.

Espadaleader

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Also, don't listen to people that says orgo is "easy". No science prereq is easy. You will have to work hard to get an A.

However don't sweat the course. It's manageable and if you've been doing well in your courses orgo won't change that. Don't study before the new year. Good luck.

Cambover

5+ Year Member
May 26, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Khan Academy has some very good introductory stuff. If you're worried, you can always take a look. The biggest thing about orgo is not psyching yourself out.

musicalfeet

5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2013
Status
Play video games and hang out to work on your spatial skills for stereochemistry.

actually, i totally second that..i played super mario 3d land on the 3DS before and it helped a lot (my spatial memory still sucks a bit...I always died by miscalculating the depth of things hehe..)