Should I prepare "standard" interview questions for MMI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mordac21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to gauge how I should prepare myself for my upcoming MMI. Would it be valuable at all to practice for the "standard" questions (eg: Why do you want to be a doctor? Why this school? Tell me about your research. etc) for an MMI? I know the standard questions will come up in other interviews, but I want to maximize the last few days I have to prepare for this particular format. Would it be more valuable to devote all of my time to reading up on healthcare policy, ethics, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

You should prepare standard interview questions either way but yes, there is always the possibility you'll get a "why medicine/x som " station

Everyone I have ever spoken to has told me that there will always be a station about "why medicine?" for an MMI. For this question, I have heavily practiced major focal points of my answer (read: not scripted), but for the rest of the stations, I'm just reviewing ethical scenarios. This YouTube channel has 18 MMI sample videos which I found to be very informative for MMI practice. It helped me out a ton.

Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to focus on some of the harder questions that seem to be often asked such as "what are your weaknesses" and "what do you plan to do if you don't get into medical school" and "what are things about yourself that you want to improve on".

Pritish

for mmi prep (full disclosure, Ive had two this far), in my opinion, you can only do what you would for normal interview, perhaps with the exception of formulating your ideas in your head prior to entering the room vs. on the spot. Treat it the same way. I personally have enjoyed MMI because it does seem a bit fairier (there are negatives to it as well, however) and it's just more fun. Some scenarios are lame, but others are just interesting and fun to think about.

there are also the typical patient in pain who wants pain meds (and might also be belligerent or possible narcotics abuser), patient who is terminally ill, patient who is facing domestic violence type scenarios that are fairly common too that you might want to be prepared for.

Reactions: 1 user