Should I pursue a Master's Degree before applying to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sxiong04

Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and we have a program called PSEO that is basically a dual enrollment program. With that program and AP, I got about a year and a half worth of college credits so I should be able to graduate within 3 years. However, the university that I go to offers an integrated bachelors/masters program for my major and it would only take another year for me to complete so 4 years in total. With all that being said, Should I only get my bachelor or should I do the 4 years and also get my masters before med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If your GPA is good I don't see a reason to obtain the masters. Now if you are trying to make up for a low GPA this is a different conversation...

It would be smarter to utilize the extra time you have studying for the MCAT and working on volunteering/other clinical stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
If it is affordable and you are really interested in the subject and believe that you can do well, I don't see why not.

Also, you really should remove your picture. You don't want someone to identify you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is affordable and you are really interested in the subject and believe that you can do well, I don't see why not.

Also, you really should remove your picture. You don't want someone to identify you.

I just quickly wanted to add to this. Perhaps also consider a new username? It seems to have identifying information (which will be less of an issue if you change your profile picture :)).

I live in Minnesota and we have a program called PSEO that is basically a dual enrollment program. With that program and AP, I got about a year and a half worth of college credits so I should be able to graduate within 3 years. However, the university that I go to offers an integrated bachelors/masters program for my major and it would only take another year for me to complete so 4 years in total. With all that being said, Should I only get my bachelor or should I do the 4 years and also get my masters before med school?
ONLY if you're interested in doing the MS.

An MS by itself doesn't impress MD Adcoms (a good MS sGPA can help for DO).

While an MS may not impress anyone, applying after three years of college and doing the MS during the year you are applying may be better than applying after two years of college. There is just that added year of activity after college graduation to show. Two years vs three is 50% more time for activities which can make a big difference in your likelihood of success.
There are also reasons to stay in school rather than to graduate in three years and try to find work during the gap year as an alternative to doing the masters degree. Maintaining one's status as a student can have some perks.