Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a current senior, graduating in June and considering whether I need to complete a post-bacc before applying. I'm a bit hesitant to do so because I already took my MCAT (scored a 516) and would like to use that score if possible. However I was told by my university's career counselor that my GPA is so low that no medical school will consider me, regardless of what else is on my app. I have a cumulative 3.62 and science 3.28. I'm really not proud of these, although I guess I am proud of myself for sticking with a major that was really difficult.

Besides academics, I've worked in a research lab for three years and am getting published. I've worked in a separate position as a clinical research assistant for two summers and shadowed doctors through the department there. I volunteer at a local community clinic working to connect patients to social services and resources (not strictly clinical exposure). I'm also on the Executive Board of a non-profit and I volunteer at a local elementary school as a mentor.

I'm trying to figure out what my next step should be, whether I can take a year to work and save up money before applying to MD or whether I need to fit a post-bacc in there too. Unfortunately I'm not sure that I can get the post-bacc done before my MCAT exam expires. I would truly appreciate any advice, all honesty and harshness is welcome.

That science GPA is very low for most medical schools. It's not clear what your goals are when it comes to picking schools to attend either. I would definitely consider your postbac options and any opportunities for a preferred interview with specific medical schools, knowing that you will likely carry an "old" MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.