Should I pursue a special masters program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CptHindsight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently applying to 34 MD and 6 DO medical schools for the class of 2019. I am a non-URM California resident with no interviews, as well as 3 post-secondary rejections from UMKC, University of Arizona-Phoenix, and Georgetown. I have 2.5 years of clinical experience, 2 years of community service, 1 year of leadership pertaining to my community service, and 1 year of research with a publication. I had no gaps in my university education, no withdraws, but a slightly downward trend after transferring from my community college. I still had more A's than B's at my university with 1 quarter at a ~2.8 gpa because of a C+ in molecular biology, a B in orgo lab, and a pass in a required writing course (obviously the worst academic performance I ever had in undergrad). I have done a fair share of research into SMP's and spoken to 3 separate individuals at the admissions office but I am still unsure what to do.

My stats are as follows:
Overall GPA: 3.68
Science GPA: 3.65
June 2012- 1st MCAT attempt: 26 (9PS, 9VS, 8BS) Did not study at all

July 2013- 2nd MCAT attempt: 28 (11PS, 5VS, 12BS) Studied diligently without too much focus on verbal

May 2014- 3rd MCAT attempt: 29 (10PS, 7VS, 12BS) Studied for 2 months and focused more heavily on verbal with fluctuating verbal reasoning scores on the practice tests

I spoke to the reps at the admissions office to ask them if individuals with low MCATs but higher GPA's apply to their programs and successfully matriculate into medical school. One of the reps told me that there were "some" people who had matriculated into medical school with the stats I was asking but I just have a bad feeling about it. I don't feel like I belong in an SMP because my GPA isn't low. I also don't want to retake the MCAT for a fourth time because my verbal reasoning score fluctuated so much during my practice for the third attempt but also, a fourth attempt that isn't stellar could be detrimental to my application if i decide to reapply. I applied to about 6 DO schools during this cycle and submitted their secondaries in mid September so I am not ruling DO out as an option. Should I apply to SMP as a fail safe or should I just wait out this cycle and then reapply to more DO schools next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am currently applying to 34 MD and 6 DO medical schools for the class of 2019. I am a non-URM California resident with no interviews, as well as 3 post-secondary rejections from UMKC, University of Arizona-Phoenix, and Georgetown. I have 2.5 years of clinical experience, 2 years of community service, 1 year of leadership pertaining to my community service, and 1 year of research with a publication. I had no gaps in my university education, no withdraws, but a slightly downward trend after transferring from my community college. I still had more A's than B's at my university with 1 quarter at a ~2.8 gpa because of a C+ in molecular biology, a B in orgo lab, and a pass in a required writing course (obviously the worst academic performance I ever had in undergrad). I have done a fair share of research into SMP's and spoken to 3 separate individuals at the admissions office but I am still unsure what to do.

My stats are as follows:

July 2013- 2nd MCAT attempt: 28 (11PS, 5VS, 12BS) Studied diligently without too much focus on verbal

May 2014- 3rd MCAT attempt: 29 (10PS, 7VS, 12BS) Studied for 2 months and focused more heavily on verbal with fluctuating verbal reasoning scores on the practice tests

I spoke to the reps at the admissions office to ask them if individuals with low MCATs but higher GPA's apply to their programs and successfully matriculate into medical school. One of the reps told me that there were "some" people who had matriculated into medical school with the stats I was asking but I just have a bad feeling about it. I don't feel like I belong in an SMP because my GPA isn't low. I also don't want to retake the MCAT for a fourth time because my verbal reasoning score fluctuated so much during my practice for the third attempt but also, a fourth attempt that isn't stellar could be detrimental to my application if i decide to reapply. I applied to about 6 DO schools during this cycle and submitted their secondaries in mid September so I am not ruling DO out as an option. Should I apply to SMP as a fail safe or should I just wait out this cycle and then reapply to more DO schools next year?
Your best MD chances are OOS unless you are SDA, or from the IE. You have a good chance at DO schools.
Where did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best MD chances are OOS unless you are SDA, or from the IE. You have a good chance at DO schools.
Where did you apply?

Sorry, but I am unsure what the abbreviations SDA or IE stand for.

I applied to schools within my GPA and or MCAT range based on the MSAR:
Albany Medical College
Creighton University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
The Commonwealth Medical College
UCLA PRIME Combined Medical Degree/Graduate M.B.A. or M.P.H.
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson
University of California San Diego
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine
University of California-Riverside School of Medicine
University of Central Florida COM
University of Missouri - Kansas City
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist MedicalCenter
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Western Michigan University School of Medicine
De Moines University COM
A.T. Still University COM
Midwestern University COM
Western University College of Health Sciences
Michigan State University COM
Touro-CA COM

SDA= 7th Day Adventist, IE= Inland Empire.
I count 15 MD schools where you have a fair chance at an interview.
The multiple MCAT's are your Achilles's heel. Hopefully someone will see past this.

You should be good to go for DO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you apply?

Subdural abscess?
Infective endocarditis?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

My stats are as follows:

Don't do an SMP. Retake the MCAT and do better.

Also, who the **** thinks taking the MCAT without studying is a reasonable idea. Seriously...

Reactions: 1 users
Your main problem is the MCAT, not the GPA.

SMPs are mainly for people with a poor GPA but good MCAT.

If you can't get into an MD school this cycle, just go DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't do an SMP. Retake the MCAT and do better.

Also, who the **** thinks taking the MCAT without studying is a reasonable idea. Seriously...
I regrettably took the MCAT my first time without studying... I had a lot of pressure to apply that cycle and decided to go through with the exam. Do you really think taking the MCAT 4 times will be a good decision? I had a lot of issues scoring consistently with my verbal reasoning section. I am not ESL but I did speak mostly Farsi in my household till I was 12 if you were going to ask that. I am really trying to avoid a retake...

Well if you don't get in this round, you need to do something... Your GPA is already reasonable so undergrad post-baccs/upper level science courses aren;t going to give you a ton of bang for your buck. An SMP is very risky and is best for people with low GPAs.

Your weakness is the MCAT. So fix it if you don't get in... or go DO.

Agree with everyone here. Your multiple, sub-30 mcat is killing the app. I'd take it a 4th time, and hopefully get 33+

Generally, I feel that most SMP's are pretty much scams where they're able to charge pre-meds huge tuitions while providing them with a useless degree (like, you can't do anything with a Master's in Physiology). Since your grades are fine, I'm just going to echo what everyone has been saying, and discourage you from accumulating another >$50k of debt.

I can understand their purpose for if an applicant has low grades and wants to convince med schools that they can handle med school coursework, so for some people, they're worth it.

Personally, I don't understand the point of an SMP either. Unless the program has linkage with the med school, what does it get you? It doesn't affect your undergraduate GPA, which is the screening tool anyway. It's "calculated" on AMCAS but I'm not sure how meaningful the number is when used to decide who gets a secondary or an interview invite. The med school where I am getting my master's now has an SMP and I would say its usefulness is "meh". They've always got tons of students though. No direct linkage to the med school, although I've been told "some" of them are accepted to med school at my institution after applying. I would think it would be mostly meaningless anywhere else. I'm happy to hear opinions that disagree however.

I regrettably took the MCAT my first time without studying... I had a lot of pressure to apply that cycle and decided to go through with the exam. Do you really think taking the MCAT 4 times will be a good decision? I had a lot of issues scoring consistently with my verbal reasoning section. I am not ESL but I did speak mostly Farsi in my household till I was 12 if you were going to ask that. I am really trying to avoid a retake...
What happened to the pressure to apply? You're okay to take another year to try and improve your competitiveness now? I'd go to whatever medical school accepted me rather than do an SMP. Also, maybe you can still apply to a few more DO programs. They tend to take a more holistic view of the applicant and could be more forgiving on MCAT scores.

You have 2 options:

1) Retake the MCAT and get a 33+ & apply next cycle. Go MD.

2) Get into DO school this cycle (b/c you will for sure get into one of them) and start school next year

It just depends on your preferences