Should I pursue a special master's program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patrick_K

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently going for my EMT-Basic Certification. But I am having doubts on the best path to get to medical school. Should i pursue a full time job as an EMT and retake the mcat? Or should I apply to enroll in a Special master's program. Would i be able to get into one with these stats??

I am a Computer Science Major. I received a 504 on my MCAT. I have a 3.7 GPA and a 3.5 sGPA.
I have 200+ hours of volunteering in my hospitals ER.
I have 100+ hours of shadowing (90 with a M.D and 20 with a D.O)
I have done research in my undergraduate institution.
100+ hours research in a my local hospital.
I have received letter of recs from both the M.D and D.O i shadowed and my pre-med committee.
I am an eagle scout, athlete, and worked at a few different jobs since the age of 17 while going to school.

Members don't see this ad.

curious, what were you getting on your practice tests and how long did you study? Your gpa is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
SMPs help compensate for a low GPA, a problem that you don't have.

Reactions: 1 user
On another note, having two letters from shadowing is ill-advised, especially if you only spent 20 hours with one of them...

On another note, having two letters from shadowing is ill-advised, especially if you only spent 20 hours with one of them...
Well if he's applying to DO schools, he needs the 20 hour doctor letter anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
curious, what were you getting on your practice tests and how long did you study? Your gpa is fine.
i studied for about 4 and a half months for the mcat. i was getting anywhere between 492-496 on my practice tests

the md letter was for when i applied to md schools. the do was for when i applied to do schools..i didnt make any of them

SMPs help compensate for a low GPA, a problem that you don't have.
i have been told that my gpa is weaker than most and from my research an SMP would help show that i can handle a medical students workload which would help a lot

No idea what that MCAT score correlates to in terms of percentile or old mcat scores, but the rest of your app looks great. If your mcat is low, work on that, but otherwise I think you should be competitive for MD and DO.

i studied for about 4 and a half months for the mcat. i was getting anywhere between 492-496 on my practice tests
did you try a mix of company tests? and did you take the aamc test? That seems more indicative of your abilities.