• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Should I pursue DO? Career change

mollusk

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
  1. DPT / OTD
Hi!
I've been contemplating switching careers to a DO. I'm currently graduating with a masters in OT. But I've been having doubts about OT all throughout graduate school. I was drawn to OT due to it's holistic approach to healthcare.... but now that I've found out about DO I would really like to pursue this career change. However, I'm worried that my stats are so bad that I might be wasting my time.

Here's my stats as is
Based off the AACOMAS excel calculator that I found on this forum:
cumulative GPA: 3.414
science GPA: 3.038
undergrad GPA: 2.965
graduate/postbac gpa: 3.906

I haven't taken the MCATs yet, but I'm aiming for at least a 502.

With these stats, would it be worth pursuing DO?

About the Ads

NecrotizingFasciitis

IR/DR PGY-0
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Echoing both statements made by @Siromas above (it's just the MCAT, not MCATs ;).) I would also add that you should try to score a balanced 505+ (relatively similar scores in each section.)

I definitely think you'd get attention from DO schools, especially if you present your story well in your personal statement and secondary essays.. in addition to scoring well on the MCAT.

Make sure you get some DO shadowing in as well (if you haven't already) so you can further convince ADCOMs that you know what you're getting yourself into with the career change.

Good luck!
-NF

Reactions: 1 user
G

grapefruit17

if you're interested in the medicine component than yes. Especially if you want something a little more challenging. But it depends on a lot of factors. Consider when you'll be done with medical school/resdency and see if you're willing to wait for that long, since you already finished OT. Look at loans too, of course. And family aspect, do you have/or want a family?The hollistic aspect of DO is a myth for the most part.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.