Medical Should I pursue MD or MD/PhD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!! I am a sr in college hoping to start medical school in 2022. I am torn between applying for an MD alone or an MD/PhD program. I have always been torn between my love for caring for patients and passion for research. I have a few questions that may seem a little basic (please no judgement! I have no doctors in my family, so I am trying to learn.. ):

-Could you do research in the medical field without a PhD?

Yes, absolutely.

-How does the stipend work for MD/PhD programs? Do they all have a stipend?

I can't say every single one, but all of the ones that I have heard of have a stipend.

-Can I take care of patients and do research?

Yes! Many people with MD/PhD's do this.

-Is the MD/PhD worth it? Do people with this degree typically like it or think that they could have gone without getting the PhD?

I think this is probably a better question for the general forums. The decision to do MD/PhD instead of MD depends on your desired career path, and some people find it worthwhile, and some don't.

-Are MD/PhD programs more, equal, or less competitive than MD programs? I got about a 3.4 average up until my jr year, where I have had a 4.0 for 3 semesters straight. So my GPA is not awesome :(.

MD/PhD tends to be more competitive.

-Can I apply to the MD and MD/PhD program at the same school?

You can, although you are often considered for MD alone if you aren't accepted to the MD/PhD pathway at many schools.

-Can I apply to MD programs at some schools and MD/PhD programs at others?

Yes.

Thanks in advance :) !

My pleasure.

Members don't see this ad.

Of course. Depending on where you practice, your research output would be different. For example, working at an academic center you obviously would have more tools available to produce work. But you can do research at community centers too.

I haven't heard of one without one.

Yes, some docs split their practice. For example, 60% research, 40% clinical, etc. It just depends on how much clinical work you want.

-Is the MD/PhD worth it? Do people with this degree typically like it or think that they could have gone without getting the PhD?
You don't NEED a Ph.D. to do research. 95-98% of papers out there are from MD/DO, not MD/PhD.

-Are MD/PhD programs more, equal, or less competitive than MD programs? I got about a 3.4 average up until my jr year, where I have had a 4.0 for 3 semesters straight. So my GPA is not awesome :(.
More competitive

Yes

-Can I apply to MD programs at some schools and MD/PhD programs at others?
Yes.

Yes. My very first rotation in grad school was with an MD who was a well known figure in his field of molecular genetics. Total prick too. His lab was cliquish to the point of being xenophobic. I didn't end up in his lab. But right around the corner from my grad lab was an HHMI guy who was an MD. He was 100% research.

Your tuition is free and you get paid whatever the going rate seems to be around $30K. This might vary from school to school.

Yes. When I was looking for a post-doc position, I interviewed with a guy at U IA who had a lab and also saw patients. During one tour of the lab he had to take a break to discuss something with a patient.

-Is the MD/PhD worth it?
Only you can answer this.

Do people with this degree typically like it or think that they could have gone without getting the PhD?

You'll need to talk to them

They're probably harder to get into that the NBA or the NFL. Your GPA probably will rule you out.

I believe that what happens is that you get dumped into the MD pool if the MD/PD program takes a pass on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.