Should I push test date up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGuru789

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it sounds like a pretentious question, but any advice would be appreciated. I took the AAMC Sample this weekend and was pretty happy with my score 85, 91, 98, and 92 on Chem/Phys, CARS, Bio and Pysch sections. However, this only my 2nd Full Length.
I have my exam Sept 12. I am leaning towards moving it up to Aug. 22. Anyone think this a bad idea based on the results of 1 FL?

Members don't see this ad.

You could push it up and then just do a bunch of full-lengths between now and then. It sounds like you're ready to go in terms of content review. Now you just have to train yourself to actually take the test. I don't think you need a whole other month of practice to do that. Plus you risk forgetting some of the stuff you just studied in the meantime. What was the other full length you took and how did you do on that one?

@Cotterpin I did a Kaplan FL, back in early July and got 508. I am thinking what you said and just taking like 4 or 5 more FL from TPR and going in. If you've taken the actual exam, do you know how the sample stacks up in terms of difficulty to the actual exam?

I know it sounds like a pretentious question, but any advice would be appreciated. I took the AAMC Sample this weekend and was pretty happy with my score 85, 91, 98, and 92 on Chem/Phys, CARS, Bio and Pysch sections. However, this only my 2nd Full Length.
I have my exam Sept 12. I am leaning towards moving it up to Aug. 22. Anyone think this a bad idea based on the results of 1 FL?

I'd take it asap, before all that ****ing awesomeness wears off. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
@Cotterpin I did a Kaplan FL, back in early July and got 508. I am thinking what you said and just taking like 4 or 5 more FL from TPR and going in. If you've taken the actual exam, do you know how the sample stacks up in terms of difficulty to the actual exam?
Kaplan FL 508 is basically 520+ on real thing according to excel table so far. I'd say move it to Aug.22 and just be sure to practice couple more FL's for honing test-taking skills.

Reactions: 1 user

I took the exam on July 17th and I felt like the exam was more difficult than the AAMC full length, but easier than the Kaplan. I got an 89% overall on the AAMC FL and was averaging 506 on Kaplan and I felt really calm and confident about the real thing, before, during, and after. Honestly, it sounds to me like you are in an excellent position to take the test on the 22nd. The best thing you can do for yourself is take it soon and do some practice tests in the meantime. Like I said, once you have the content down, the most important thing is to become comfortable with the test taking process so that you don't choke in the moment. And the only thing that's good for that is full-length practice tests in as close to exam conditions as you can get. You can definitely do it!

I would keep your current test date and just keep sharp by doing full-lengths and practice problems/passages. There isn't much benefit taking it earlier, and I doubt your performance will change significantly between now and then. Save that reschedule fee money for your post-MCAT celebration. Also holy crap on that bio score.

I think the benefit of the taking the MCAT earlier is that you can get your life back earlier. The feeling you get when you walk out of the test is amazing. Kinda like flying. And for a couple of days you're just sort of high, not knowing what to do with all of this amazing extra time in your day.

I think the benefit of the taking the MCAT earlier is that you can get your life back earlier. The feeling you get when you walk out of the test is amazing. Kinda like flying. And for a couple of days you're just sort of high, not knowing what to do with all of this amazing extra time in your day.

Yeah, but think of what the OP can do with saving $140 by not rescheduling. :) I mean, it isn't like the OP has to spend hours a day on the MCAT, just do enough to keep sharp but not be stressed out.

Yeah, but think of what the OP can do with saving $140 by not rescheduling. :) I mean, it isn't like the OP has to spend hours a day on the MCAT, just do enough to keep sharp but not be stressed out.

Well, it's up to OP. :shrug: I'm sure (s)he will make the best decision for themselves. The important to thing is to take the test when you're best prepared. That was worth the extra money to me when I rescheduled mine.