Should I put MPH on my AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpen200

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in possibly pursuing a combined MD/MPH degree. What happens if I indicate this on my AMCAS application? Does that mean I automatically have to fill out an application to the MPH program, or does it simply mean I'm interested?

Also, how would this effect my chances of being accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

You can definately put MD/MPH on AMCAS, in no way is it binding. When you get the secondary, you'll have to indicate there that you want to pursue MD/MPH and that will probably require you to write an essay about your interest in public haelth. But even being admitted to MD/MPH program is not a binding agreement for you, in most schools. You can opt out of the MPH part for just the MD part. I put MD/MPH for a lot of schools on the AMCAS application but ended up applying MD/MPH only on the few secondaries.

How do you think it would affect my chances of being accepted? Would it be better to indicate it now or wait until I'm accepted, then apply for the MPH program? Is that even possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think there's any need to mention it right off the bat. showing public health as an interest is a good idea, and maybe you could float the possibility of an MPH in your essays or interviews.

i don't see how it will have a major impact on your chances for acceptance.

i don't think there's any need to mention it right off the bat. showing public health as an interest is a good idea, and maybe you could float the possibility of an MPH in your essays or interviews.

i don't see how it will have a major impact on your chances for acceptance.

I'm wondering the same thing as the OP. It seems like since there are probably a set number of MPH slots available, applying to the dual program now (as opposed to after you matriculate, because you can do that, right?) could either help or hurt your chances depending on how many people are also applying MD/MPH.

Also, to apply to it you just indicate Combined Medical Degree/Graduate on AMCAS, right?

sure, doesnt hurt