Should I put these in the activities section of the amcas application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proudfather94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I was wondering if I should put that I take care of my child Mon-Thursday while my fiance is at work. Should I also mention that I go to the gym around 5 hours a week for the past 2 years. I want to show that on top of working full time that I've been busy as a parent during now and when I need to reapply next cycle. I want to include the gym time because it shows commitment and flexibility since I can balance doing that with everything else.

And does virtual shadowing count as actual shadowing?

And would I be considered a non trad since I graduated college in 2018 and now have a family? Thanks for the advice! And sorry if these questions come off as stupid!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good afternoon, I was wondering if I should put that I take care of my child Mon-Thursday while my fiance is at work. Should I also mention that I go to the gym around 5 hours a week for the past 2 years. I want to show that on top of working full time that I've been busy as a parent during now and when I need to reapply next cycle. I want to include the gym time because it shows commitment and flexibility since I can balance doing that with everything else.

And does virtual shadowing count as actual shadowing?

And would I be considered a non trad since I graduated college in 2018 and now have a family? Thanks for the advice! And sorry if these questions come off as stupid!
1) I personally have not seen an applicant list caring for their own child as one of their 15 activities. Hypothetically, how would this be categorized? As 'paid employment'? Or perhaps as 'non-clinical volunteering' since you are technically caring for a very vulnerable person (for free!)? Or would this be considered under 'hobbies' or 'other'? (Probably not a hobby! :dead:). Maybe some more experienced adcom members can chime in with their experiences.

On a serious note, many secondaries will have a "anything else?" essay, and quite a few explicitly ask about post-graduation experiences and/or gap year plans. I think that the secondary would be a very reasonable place to mention your raising your child, and how you look forward to having baby John/Jane grow up in [insert city here]. I would not find such a statement to be out of place, and might even find it a bit endearing.

2) Your gym time can and should be listed under 'hobbies'. You can group multiple hobbies together if need be.
3) I personally do not view virtual shadowing as actual shadowing. My school's admissions dean has yet to internally announce our adcom's official stance.
4) Yes, you would definitely be considered 'non-trad' in my book.

There are definitely stupid questions, but yours were not among them :). Hope this helps, and best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
1) I personally have not seen an applicant list caring for their own child as one of their 15 activities. Hypothetically, how would this be categorized? As 'paid employment'? Or perhaps as 'non-clinical volunteering' since you are technically caring for a very vulnerable person (for free!)? Or would this be considered under 'hobbies' or 'other'? (Probably not a hobby! :dead:). Maybe some more experienced adcom members can chime in with their experiences.

On a serious note, many secondaries will have a "anything else?" essay, and quite a few explicitly ask about post-graduation experiences and/or gap year plans. I think that the secondary would be a very reasonable place to mention your raising your child, and how you look forward to having baby John/Jane grow up in [insert city here]. I would not find such a statement to be out of place, and might even find it a bit endearing.

2) Your gym time can and should be listed under 'hobbies'. You can group multiple hobbies together if need be.
3) I personally do not view virtual shadowing as actual shadowing. My school's admissions dean has yet to internally announce our adcom's official stance.
4) Yes, you would definitely be considered 'non-trad' in my book.

There are definitely stupid questions, but yours were not among them :). Hope this helps, and best of luck.
Thank you so much! I'm trying to find a doctor that will let me shadow them but most hospitals won't allow it yet in Columbus

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally would not include parenting as one of your 15 extracurricular activities. You can still reference it frequently (if you want) during your personal statement, secondaries, and interviews. I would be careful to not make it sound like parenting has made things super hard, since medical school/residency will likely be more demanding than your current job/school situation!

Definitely include going to the gym as a hobby! It is not "unique" but it is still important and positive! Best if you can demonstrate that you were able to achieve personal goals along the way.

I feel like with COVID, schools will be practically forced to accept virtual shadowing so I wouldn't stress if that's all you have at this point.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I personally would not include parenting as one of your 15 extracurricular activities. You can still reference it frequently (if you want) during your personal statement, secondaries, and interviews. I would be careful to not make it sound like parenting has made things super hard, since medical school/residency will likely be more demanding than your current job/school situation!

Definitely include going to the gym as a hobby! It is not "unique" but it is still important and positive! Best if you can demonstrate that you were able to achieve personal goals along the way.

I feel like with COVID, schools will be practically forced to accept virtual shadowing so I wouldn't stress if that's all you have at this point.

Good luck!
Thanks it's been hard for sure balancing everything but we're surviving! We have people that can watch him when I'm in school but he hates being put down and screams so we're trying to wait until he is a little calmer about it as to not burn any bridges. The gym definitely helps me stay sane as being an almost stay at home parent and working full time is exhausting. I wonder how I can mention my personal goals there without coming off as "look at my bench brah"