Should I put this in my extra curricular activities/accomplishments

healingwave

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I play a first person shooter game called counter-strike global offensive and am on the team at my university. We played in a collegiate league and placed top 8 in the nation. I was wondering if I could put this in as an extra curricular activity and accomplishment or would it look stupid?

OrdinaryDO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I also played e-sports on an MLG Halo 2 team, but in all honesty I like to lean on the more cautious side of things and pretend every ADCOM is super conservative. Therefore, no, do not put this down. Albeit to you it might seem significant because of how much work goes into the practicing, you have to look at it from a medical professional standpoint and from the perception of someone who is looking to admit students who are serious about wanting to become a doctor and be successful at the very least.

Reactions: Scrubs101
Jul 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
@Goro what are your thoughts?
Healingwave,

Please remember that the admissions committee is using your activities to determine if you possess the qualities necessary for becoming a doctor. Playing video games -- even competitively -- will not give them what they are looking for. In fact, given the stereotypes often given to gamers, it is more likely to hurt you than help you. I personally would not take the risk.

Best,

Pc200

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
While I now understand that this is a big thing and one can even major in gaming in college, with Adcoms being as conservative as they are with applicants, I think that this will shoot you in the foot. Had to say this before gonnif would!!!

I play a first person shooter game called counter-strike global offensive and am on the team at my university. We played in a collegiate league and placed top 8 in the nation. I was wondering if I could put this in as an extra curricular activity and accomplishment or would it look stupid?

Reactions: John Buster
OP
H

healingwave

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2016
Status
@Goro Would playing in an outside tennis league and winning the division be considered a good EC/accomplishment to put?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Aug 1, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
lol, Counter Strike. I can't see how people's ability to shoot other people in an online video game will help their future in medicine in any way. Maybe you can say it will help you handle gore if you get into surgery? :p

Counter Strike, good game though. I used to play it WAY back though, like CS 1.5

OP
H

healingwave

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2016
Status
@O731 I mean, it is esports. My university had an esports club, I was apart of the collegiate team and placed top 8 in the nation. I was also an in game leader calling the strats. It's just something I play competitively and am talented at. I was just asking a question.

Aug 1, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
@O731 I mean, it is esports. My university had an esports club, I was apart of the collegiate team and placed top 8 in the nation. I was also an in game leader calling the strats. It's just something I play competitively and am talented at. I was just asking a question.
I wasn't trying to offend you in any way, I was just talking straight up.

Apr 25, 2014
Florida
Status
Medical Student
How impressed do you think a ~40-60 yr old Caucasian Male and some Females will be if you discussed such? Remember your audience.

That said, if asked in an interview you might mention you on occasion play video games as a way of relaxing but also mention other external activities. I wouldn't want to come across as a gamer unless just maybe you are applying to a program that is leading the edge in robotic and computer assisted surgery.

Good luck