Should I quit my job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nutritionguru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to complete my MA in counseling and I'm having a hard time figuring out how I will complete my 3,000 hours for licensure. Has anyone done this on a part-time basis. i have a full-time job that I cannot affor to quit (paying about $49K) due to our financial situation. I also know that an extry level job without licensure would pay very little. My ultimate goal is to go into private practice once I get my LPC licence, but still keep my current job until I build up my client load. I have another masters in Nutrition and woud like to combine it with counseling to creat a niche in wegiht management, body image and eating disorders.

Would I be better of quitting my job and getting an entry level position in counseling? I love my current job--has great benefits and very flexible--can even work from homw some days which is great with 2 young children. However, i really do want to get into counseling on a part-time basis.

Thanks for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I have friends who work for Child Protective Services who also have MSW degrees. They work part-time in the evenings or weekends with mental health agencies, counseling clinics, hospitals, or hospice agencies to get the required 3200 hours before sitting for the LCSW exam. Apparently, their work with CPS does not count toward the required hours. It takes them longer to accumulate the hours; it's doable, but they're quite busy.