Should I really hide / lie about my sexuality and husband?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nahla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a man, and I am happily married to the love of my life who happens to be a man also.

To make the story short, I had a mock interview with my pre health adviser and she almost literally in a hostile tone said to me to never ever mention the fact that I'm gay or I'm involve in any homosexual activity in my application because it will be instantly looked down upon.

Am I dumb to think that the health care world is that narrow minded? I understand that some interviewers and doctors etc are conservative but to reject me because of the fact that I am gay is absolutely absurd!

Her mock interview question was about support system etc and I mentioned my husband and how he will support me during medical school, and she flipped out on me. I was taken by surprise the way she brought it up to me. It almost comes off as homophobic in her tone.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a man, and I am happily married to the love of my life who happens to be a man also.

To make the story short, I had a mock interview with my pre health adviser and she almost literally in a hostile tone said to me to never ever mention the fact that I'm gay or I'm involve in any homosexual activity in my application because it will be instantly looked down upon.

Am I dumb to think that the health care world is that narrow minded? I understand that some interviewers and doctors etc are conservative but to reject me because of the fact that I am gay is absolutely absurd!

Her mock interview question was about support system etc and I mentioned my husband and how he will support me during medical school, and she flipped out on me. I was taken by surprise the way she brought it up to me. It almost comes off as homophobic in her tone.

1. Your pre-health advisor is incompetent and intolerant.

2. You can mention it, but their rejection of you based on your sexuality is a violation of federal law. So you have nothing to worry about.

2. You can mention it, but their rejection of you based on your sexuality is a violation of federal law. So you have nothing to worry about.

That's what I figured, but even if they did how exactly to even prove that is beyond me. My husband is a major part of my life. I'm not gonna hide him or lie about our relationship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are unlucky enough to have a homophobic or misinformed advisor. You're fine. Giving any weight to sexuality is clear violation of law

1. You're correct.

2. You're incorrect. Which federal law is it that protects the LGBT population? Many states don't even have that protection at their level. Some schools don't even include sexuality in their own nondiscrimination and EOE statements. The world is still full of legal discrimination.

That's what I figured, but even if they did how exactly to even prove that is beyond me. My husband is a major part of my life. I'm not gonna hide him or lie about our relationship.

Just mention it. If you get rejected, it's not going to be based on your sexuality. You can count on that.

You can mention it in your PS and show how that shaped you into what you are. Your sexuality is your personal life, and it's not based on political views.

1. You're correct.

2. You're incorrect. Which federal law is it that protects the LGBT population? Many states don't even have that protection at their level. Some schools don't even include sexuality in their own nondiscrimination and EOE statements. The world is still full of legal discrimination.

I agree it's difficult to track down and dismantle discrimination. But rejecting on the basis of sexuality is discrimination and it's likely mentioned somewhere in the 1964 (or later) Civil Rights Act. Currently, the federal government recognized sexuality and is ensuring equal protection in these cases. Of course, you can mention the opposite case of affirmative action quotas and what not, but that's a completely different point. Federal protection supersedes that of the states, so no one cares what states think in this matter.

Lets be honest here...is it wrong for them to judge you based on your sexuality. YES.

Does it happen anyways? YES.

I honestly think the safest route is to not mention it. I didn't mention in my interviews that I am heterosexual or that I have a girlfriend. I didn't mention about my gf or anything about my relationship life because I feel that some interviewers may judge me based on who I date or how I handle relationships.

The smart thing to do is only mention it if necessary. No point in going into your interview and saying, "I love men. Oh you want to know why I want to study medicine?"

Lets be honest here...is it wrong for them to judge you based on your sexuality. YES.

I honestly think the safest route is to not mention it. I didn't mention in my interviews that I am heterosexual or that I have a girlfriend. I didn't mention about my gf or anything about my relationship life because I feel that some interviewers may judge me based on who I date or how I handle relationships.

The smart thing to do is only mention it if necessary. No point in going into your interview and saying, "I love men. Oh you want to know why I want to study medicine?"

That's a terrible comparison.

Although technically true, there is no way to prove this. You could get someone who has it out for homosexuals and just say that he didn't like you on the interview and you have no true recourse.

Your advisor is partly right. Your sexuality is something that would be a bit of a delicate issue. It's not something to lie about and it's not something to hide, but it's also not something to bring up unless necessary and contributory.

I'm happily married (I'm a heterosexual male) but I didn't bring up my wife on residency interviews unless I thought it was appropriate. I wore my wedding ring, and if asked about social support/what is important in my life/etc, I would bring up my wife. But I wouldn't start a conversation with "Hey, thanks for inviting me to interview. My wife was really excited when I got this interview." Remember, they are trying to get to know you, part of you is definitely the people around you, but they aren't interviewing your husband, they're interviewing you. Plus, some people in residencies view married people (heterosexual or homosexual) or people with kids as less committed (i.e. more obligations --> less time for residency).

Right or wrong, you don't want to give anyone a reason not to admit you. You don't want to be the guy who walks into the interview and says "guess who has two thumbs and likes guys? THIS GUY!" - you also don't want to be seen as someone who is militant - everyone hates that guy (I'm not saying about that about homosexuality, just the people who are always bring up about the same thing at inappropriate times, be it political views, conspiracy theorists, whatever, you know the guy I'm talking about). But you also don't want to lie about who you are (that would make for a few very awkward conversations if you did get admitted).

Tl;dnr - Do the same thing you do with every topic in interviews, bring it up only if it's relevant, necessary and will help you. Don't volunteer information that isn't pertinent or could potentially hurt you, but don't lie or skirt the truth either.

Good luck.

I think there is probably a happy medium between the extremes of being completely open or completely closed. Use your discretion. I'm gay and don't plan on mentioning it except when it really makes sense to (maybe a secondary question about diversity or something). I think it makes perfect sense for you to answer that particular question the way you did, but like I said, use your discretion and make a judgment call based on where you are interviewing and the overall feel of the interview. I personally don't see the need to ever bring it up in an interview for me, but I'm single, and I certainly would under the right circumstances.

Although technically true, there is no way to prove this. You could get someone who has it out for homosexuals and just say that he didn't like you on the interview and you have no true recourse.

Your advisor is partly right. Your sexuality is something that would be a bit of a delicate issue. It's not something to lie about and it's not something to hide, but it's also not something to bring up unless necessary and contributory.

Yeah, that's an unfortunate problem. But it sounds like a similar argument can be made by a racist interviewer. I feel OP's situation is different. His sexuality defines him and makes him what he is. He definitely should mention it at least in the PS. This isn't a delicate issue, as long as OP doesn't get carried away.

I agree it's difficult to track down and dismantle discrimination. But rejecting on the basis of sexuality is discrimination and it's likely mentioned somewhere in the 1964 (or later) Civil Rights Act. Currently, the federal government recognized sexuality and is ensuring equal protection in these cases. Of course, you can mention the opposite case of affirmative action quotas and what not, but that's a completely different point. Federal protection supersedes that of the states, so no one cares what states think in this matter.

I appreciate that you take time to post on a public forum, but your statements are misinformed. Though I'm not sure how the federal government has "recognized sexuality", there are no federal protections for sexuality. In fact, specific bills have been proposed to include sexuality in employment protections, but they have never become law. Wikipedia can tell you more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Non-Discrimination_Act. FYI, educational nondiscrimination policies mirror employment policies.

Some people, including me, do care what states think in this matter. Since there are no federal protections for hiring or educational discrimination against the LGBT populations, some states have stepped up to provide those protections. Applying to a school in one of those states would offer the protections that you apparently believe are available at the federal level.

Out of curiosity, If you matriculate in a state that does not recognize gay marriage are you still technically married? In the eyes of the law I mean…

Members don't see this ad :)

I understand where you are coming from and the point you're trying to get across, but you being a heterosexual is NOT the same as homosexual when mentioning it in your application.
If you were to state that you're a heterosexual man on your application it would be weird because that's the norm. Society accepts that.

I'm not mentioning my husband in the application because I want the interviewer to know I love men etc but because of the hardship we went through together and because he's the person who made me who I am today.

Out of curiosity, If you matriculate in a state that does not recognize gay marriage are you still technically married? In the eyes of the law I mean…

States do have marriage reciprocity, but only with forms of marriage recognized in that state. So no, the marriage wouldn't be recognized in the South, eg, if he were to matriculate there.

I appreciate that you take time to post on a public forum, but your statements are misinformed. Though I'm not sure how the federal government has "recognized sexuality", there are no federal protections for sexuality. In fact, specific bills have been proposed to include sexuality in employment protections, but they have never become law. Wikipedia can tell you more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Non-Discrimination_Act. FYI, educational nondiscrimination policies mirror employment policies.

Some people, including me, do care what states think in this matter. Since there are no federal protections for hiring or educational discrimination against the LGBT populations, some states have stepped up to provide those protections. Applying to a school in one of those states would offer the protections that you apparently believe are available at the federal level.

I'll look into more information regarding the political implications of this and let you know later. I don't want to shift this thread into a political debate.

I understand where you are coming from and the point you're trying to get across, but you being a heterosexual is NOT the same as homosexual when mentioning it in your application.
If you were to state that you're a heterosexual man on your application it would be weird because that's the norm. Society accepts that.

I'm not mentioning my husband in the application because I want the interviewer to know I love men etc but because of the hardship we went through together and because he's the person who made me who I am today.

Just as I had said earlier. Mention this in your PS.

You're correct, I it's not the same, but you are getting my point. If its unnecessary to put it in your app then I would leave it out.

But if you think that it's important in shaping who you are today and how it has effected you to pursue medicine then put it in.

I was out on my primary application, on many secondaries and it came up in a lot of interviews. Honestly I highly doubt it hurt me, if anything it helped me. Just be honest. If you are throwing it in your application or interviews just to gain points then I can see where that could come off disconcerting and possibly hurt you. Being out on my application had one unforeseen advantage: interviewers and administration often connected me to LGBT resources on campus during interviews.

Like everyone else has stated, they can't discriminate based on sexuality so don't afraid to be out on your application. I'm not sure that I would make a huge deal of it just because relationships are not usually discussed in detail during the application process, hetero or homosexual. We can only hope your interviewers are professional and won't let this effect their decision in a negative way at all. Good luck!

I was out on my primary application, on many secondaries and it came up in a lot of interviews. Honestly I highly doubt it hurt me, if anything it helped me. Just be honest. If you are throwing it in your application or interviews just to gain points then I can see where that could come off disconcerting and possibly hurt you. Being out on my application had one unforeseen advantage: interviewers and administration often connected me to LGBT resources on campus during interviews.

That's really awesome!

My goal is not to throw it in anyone's face but rather speak truthfully about it if asked.

In the interview: Putting myself in your shoes, I wouldn't hesitate to speak about a "significant other" or "spouse," that way if an interviewer is intolerant, then they wouldn't be in the know.

In medical school: It is important to be out. How is it possible to NOT to be out in medical school and make friends who genuinely know you? In my opinion, it isn't. For example, if you go renew your vows in a ceremony, it would be awful to keep that private and not have your medical school friends attend. Or if you buy a present, other people will want to know what it is (even if it's a gendered gift). If you lie to cover up gender of a spouse, people will sense that you lie, but not know why. That is a tangled web. Don't do it. These are things that some people don't think of.

I wish that more medical schools, hospitals, and premed departments had diversity committees who put up posters on pride week of an "out" LGBT person and short bio. Or, picture and LGBT-related topic to raise awareness. They did this in my old job, a large corporate place, and it worked out very well. It helped to set a tolerant tone. And they celebrated Pride in the office.

Short list out LGBT people we used for posters at work, including where clients would see them. (I figure that if upper management approved them for us, your bosses might too...):

Dan Choi
Anderson Cooper
Suze Orman
Wanda Sykes
Cynthia Nixon
Kye Allums
Diego Sanchez (Barney Frank's legal aid)
Silvia Rivera

Plus a few lists:
http://www.transpeoplespeak.org/
http://www.out.com/out-exclusives/power-50/2013/04/10/power-list-2013
http://www.historyproject.org/exhibits/exhibits.php

Last edited:
I believe I've mentioned this in at least ten posts since I joined SDN, but pre-med/health advisors are probably the worst people to get advice from. I'm not saying every single one of these advisors is terrible, but I've never come across one that was competent enough to give sound advice to students, or heard of one from friends and family.

Like everyone else has stated, they can't discriminate based on sexuality so don't afraid to be out on your application. I'm not sure that I would make a huge deal of it just because relationships are not usually discussed in detail during the application process, hetero or homosexual. We can only hope your interviewers are professional and won't let this effect their decision in a negative way at all. Good luck!

Yeah I figured they weren't gonna ask personal things. I only mentioned my husband because of the life we had and the struggles that we overcame.

I believe I've mentioned this in at least ten posts since I joined SDN, but pre-med/health advisors are probably the worst people to get advice from. I'm not saying every single one of these advisors is terrible, but I've never come across one that was competent enough to give sound advice to students, or heard of one from friends and family.

Glad to see we're on the same side. :thumbup::thumbup:

That's really awesome!

My goal is not to throw it in anyone's face but rather speak truthfully about it if asked.

This is key. Definitely not a topic to avoid completely, but a topic that can be discussed if the conversation moves towards relationships and support systems, or something related to your husband. I always ask about support systems when I interview, so that would be a good time to discuss it.

This is key. Definitely not a topic to avoid completely, but a topic that can be discussed if the conversation moves towards relationships and support systems, or something related to your husband. I always ask about support systems when I interview, so that would be a good time to discuss it.

I spoke with my husband about it and he said just play it on the safe side and avoid it completely to prevent the struggle. I just can't get myself to do that because 1) that's my life 2) you can't just make up stories (well you can if you're that type of person) 3) I should not have to lie or hide. I didn't break any rules, I didn't hurt anybody, the world isn't ending and people aren't going hungry because I'm gay. That's what makes me mad.

You shouldn't feel like you have to avoid it if the topic comes up. It's definitely fine to bring up the fact that your husband is your support system. Besides, saying that isn't throwing "gayness" in someone's face. It's the same thing as saying your wife is your best support system.

And the health care world isn't that narrow minded. In reality, a lot of people you'll interact with won't care or make a big deal about it. A few might, but similar to the regular population, is something to ignore. In addition, the amount of LGBT peeps is medicine is a pretty decent size too. :D

Yeah, that's an unfortunate problem. But it sounds like a similar argument can be made by a racist interviewer. I feel OP's situation is different. His sexuality defines him and makes him what he is. He definitely should mention it at least in the PS. This isn't a delicate issue, as long as OP doesn't get carried away.

I strongly disagree. Again, I'm a heterosexual male. I have a beautify wife that I love, but she is not what defines me. Further, the fact that I am attracted to women is certainly not what defines me. If your sexual orientation defines you, or even if you see it that way, you are an overly one-dimensional person. What heterosexual person would feel the need to discuss their sexual preferences in their PS or secondaries? It isn't what defines them and it generally isn't what defines homosexuals. It shouldn't be what defines anyone. Sexual orientation is only one small facet to an extremely complex person. If you can't write a 1 page personal statement/secondary without feeling that you are absolutely compelled to bring it up, you need to get more hobbies. One of my wife's best friends is gay. Do you know how many times he has brought up the fact that he is gay with me in the past few years? 0. Do you know how many times I've talked to him about me being straight? 0. It's just not what people talk about. We talk about current events, mutual hobbies, food, beer, etc. Heck, I just went to his wedding a few weeks ago, but "being gay" just isnt' a regular topic of conversation. (Note: I'm not saying I don't talk about his husband or what they do with their time).

If it comes up during your interview, it comes up and no level-headed person would care (certainly you could come across someone bigoted, but you can't really control that and you shouldn't worry about it), but if you bring it up when it's irrelevant, that's just plan weird.

I think that's kinda what I was getting at in my earlier post. If I interviewed someone that was gay, I wouldn't care. If I asked if they would have support (which is extremely important in med school) and they answered "my husband." I'd say "great, hope he doesn't mind pulling his fair share around the house because your'e gonna bust your butt the next 8 years." If I say "what do you do on a Friday night?" and you say "my husband and I are kind of home-bodies. We generally just get chinese take-out and rent a crappy horror movie" - cool, you're a normal human being who can hold a conversation. But if i ask "what is one thing I need to know about you before we conclude the interview?" and you say "the one thing you need to know is that I'm a homosexual" that would immediately give me pause.

I think if you go out of your way to bring up your sexual orientation, you have a much higher likelihood of turning someone off who would otherwise not cared that you are homosexual than you are to run into a bigot who would reject you for being a bigot.

Sorry if any of that didn't make sense or I used poor grammar - I'm tired and going to bed. Good luck in your interviews.

Last edited:
Just to be clear I was out because I had an activity that was particularly meaningful because of my sexual orientation, I didn't talk about a SO specifically. And in response to some secondaries regarding diversity or hardship I again brought up my sexual orientation. To the comment that no one would care about being heterosexual so why being up being homosexual: I wish my sexual orientation did not affect my perspective on my life, I wish it was a non issue but for better or worse it has affected my life and my experiences. It does not define but it is certainly a part of me and a part of me that dictates a lot how I live my life.

I agree with FSU2013.

These days it's really not a big deal. I think if you're asked about it, answer honestly and proudly. Bringing it up to force a discussion could almost be viewed as a challenge if it is thrown in the face of your interviewers. The desire that most of us now have for equality among sexualities makes it to where there should be no significant difference between bi/homo/heterosexual in nearly all aspects of life - certainly not in a situation determining whether or not you would be a good fit for a career you have worked towards.

I dunno, the point I'm trying to make is difficult to get across. Maybe instead of insisting we celebrate our differences, we should just not give a **** since sexuality is one that has no effect on anyone else. If you don't consider yourself to be any different in any significant way (pertaining to med school) just because of your sexuality, then why should an interviewer? You're the only one your sexuality affects, so why go out of your way to make sure people know you're "different?" Unless your sexual orientation has any effect on how you wound up getting into medicine or any effect on why you'll be successful in medicine, it should not matter. Therefore, I wouldn't bring it up unless asked.. just like I only mentioned my future wife (getting married in 31 days :biglove:!) when asked about my support group and how I would pay for school (she's a pharmacist). Balls, now I kinda look like a gold digger :(.

Oh well. I, too, am sleepy. Best of luck! :luck:

PS
I hope that you post about some of your experiences so others can learn from what you go through. I think it would be a very interesting read.

My experience was very positive. I was only out at two of my seven interviews, and those were at the two schools to which I was accepted. If you have any questions insofar as how to make yourself more visible but not controversial, feel free to PM.

Just to be clear I was out because I had an activity that was particularly meaningful because of my sexual orientation, I didn't talk about a SO specifically. And in response to some secondaries regarding diversity or hardship I again brought up my sexual orientation. To the comment that no one would care about being heterosexual so why being up being homosexual: I wish my sexual orientation did not affect my perspective on my life, I wish it was a non issue but for better or worse it has affected my life and my experiences. It does not define but it is certainly a part of me and a part of me that dictates a lot how I live my life.

Good post, and I especially agree with that last part. I wouldn't say it entirely defines who you are but it unfortunately can have a major impact on your perspective and how you live your life. It's not the only part but it's a significant one.

Conflict tends to shape people more than when things are easy. Sometimes I feel like the younger crowd, generally being more accepting doesn't realize just how much of an issue this can be since they spend a lot of time around mainly other younger people who just don't consider it a big deal. Which is really great, however, they tend not to realize just how much hate and intolerance is still out there. It isn't an absolute but there definitely is a generational gap with respect to people's feelings on the issue.

I don't think it's easy to understand unless you've experienced it first hand. If you're straight you aren't going to notice as many of the things that go on with respect to being gay as someone who is living it. It can profoundly impact you to lose your friends or family or be kicked out of your house just because you're seeing someone you care about. Or to be called a freak or a pervert growing up. Even knowing on an intellectual level that it's complete BS said by people who have major issues, it still hurts having someone put you in the same category as people who molest children or engage in bestiality. And yes that actually happens, a lot more often than you think. Comparing it with being hetero just doesn't work. We don't have teenagers offing themselves because they are getting harassed for being straight.

So it absolutely can be a major defining feature of who you are and how you came to be that way, though I agree it shouldn't be the main or only one you highlight in an app. about becoming a doctor.

I think it's very naive to think that it's not still a problem in medicine or healthcare settings. Even where I work, at an institution that does everything it can to foster diversity, it's still problematic for some people to be gay in certain departments. In my jobs I went from one extreme to the other, from a place with some very judgmental people who had no problem gay bashing people to one where there are 4 out people who are highly respected members of the team.

OP, its definitely possible you could face discrimination for being open and you might not even realize that's what it was or be able to prove it anyway. On the other hand, I've been around here for awhile and when these posts come up, most who have been open and honest in a way that isn't over the top or doesn't seem to be deliberately trying to score "diversity points" and rather just being themselves seem to have done well and felt it was a good choice to be honest. Some of them said they were out in some interviews and not others depending on the vibe they got at the school or from the interviewer.

My gut tells me to be honest if it's relevant in that particular context and if it somehow backfires, maybe that's not a place you and your husband want to wind up spending 4 years of your life.

So I understand that as a straight man, I don't "get it." I can't "get it" in the same way that no one without pets can understand how hard it is to have your dog put down.

Even still, I'll make this analogy. I have two friends with two rare illnesses that affected their school attendance in the past. The first talks about it only when someone brings it up, e.g "hey, you missed class the past few days, everything OK?" - "yea, i'm good, my XXX flared up and I had to stay home. thanks." The second takes every opportunity to talk about it. They will ask questions during lectures/grand rounds/small groups asking how YYY disease is related to the topic....when it's not....at all.
Guess which person I am closer friends with.

Best advice you will receive. Do not mention it, unless you absolutely have to.

If asked, just say "your family" will support you. State the facts. Don't elaborate.

My experience was very positive. I was only out at two of my seven interviews, and those were at the two schools to which I was accepted. If you have any questions insofar as how to make yourself more visible but not controversial, feel free to PM.

I see a gay chapter at studentdoctor.net forming soon :D

I say bring it up only if it has something to do with your activities or motivation to go in to medicine/desired specialty etc. Other than that, sexual orientation doesn't have much to do with it.

1. You're correct.

The best we have at the moment is the fact that federal employers have a clause against discriminating based on sexual orientation and gender in addition to the few states that mirror and/or surpass those protections in their state laws. However, as FSU2013 mentioned below, it's very difficult to prove in a court of law. If someone chooses to vote against you during the committee vote, they're unlikely to say anything at all, let alone that they chose to vote against a person because of their age, race, sexual orientation, etc.

Although technically true, there is no way to prove this.
. . .

I think there is probably a happy medium between the extremes of being completely open or completely closed. Use your discretion. I'm gay and don't plan on mentioning it except when it really makes sense to (maybe a secondary question about diversity or something). I think it makes perfect sense for you to answer that particular question the way you did, but like I said, use your discretion and make a judgment call based on where you are interviewing and the overall feel of the interview. I personally don't see the need to ever bring it up in an interview for me, but I'm single, and I certainly would under the right circumstances.
Great advice.
My father was married to his current hubby in Cali before it was repealed. While not officially recognized by the state of TN, they are afforded benefits by their insurers and are able to see each other in the hospital since they share the same last name. He remains closeted, though, and ::shudder:: maintains certain lies (cover stories) while in public and with family.

This. I fall into the Q of GLBTQIA, am very gender fluid, and grew up with two fathers and an absent lesbian mother. I only shared this with one school that had a section for me to specifically address these issues and how they made me the person I am today. But I only described my family and never mentioned why I consider myself Q, as it remains irrelevant to these conversations and my pursuit of medicine.

To address the OP, my opinion is that it depends on each individual. If your orientation or SO greatly affected you, by all means discuss it and elaborate as to how and why it brought you where you are today. If a school doesn't like it and secretly rejects you for who you are, screw 'em. You'd probably not be happy there, anyway.

Likewise, if the school is more important to someone than their sexual orientation or if their sexual orientation didn't affect their journey to medicine in any way; there's no shame in leaving out that information. Some in the GLBTQIA community would heatedly disagree with me on this one, citing it as an action that contributes to the discrimination and ongoing subjugation of our community. But in the end, it's the individual's choice.
States do have marriage reciprocity, but only with forms of marriage recognized in that state. So no, the marriage wouldn't be recognized in the South, eg, if he were to matriculate there.
Correct, while it won't be officially recognized in the South, you can still reap some benefits (e.g., hospital privileges, insurance benefits).
Yup, the school I referenced above also asked me about my experiences during my interview and directed me to their office of diversity. :love:

So I understand that as a straight man, I don't "get it." I can't "get it" in the same way that no one without pets can understand how hard it is to have your dog put down.

Even still, I'll make this analogy. I have two friends with two rare illnesses that affected their school attendance in the past. The first talks about it only when someone brings it up, e.g "hey, you missed class the past few days, everything OK?" - "yea, i'm good, my XXX flared up and I had to stay home. thanks." The second takes every opportunity to talk about it. They will ask questions during lectures/grand rounds/small groups asking how YYY disease is related to the topic....when it's not....at all.
Guess which person I am closer friends with.

I think I definitely agree with your gist - there is a wrong way to talk about it and a right way, leading to a big grey area on what people think is awkward vs. what people think appropriate. I still stand by my statement though, IF RELEVANT do not be afraid to bring up the issue.

I was out in my application/interviews, and I think it actually helped me. Both of my interviews were actually closed-file, and I think the rule is that interviewers aren't supposed to ask you any questions about marriage/spouses/lgbt/etc, unless YOU bring it up.

So, if they ask you about your support system, definitely talk about your husband. You'll sound more genuine, and it'll be a better answer than a response that leaves out any mention of your husband.

I think I definitely agree with your gist - there is a wrong way to talk about it and a right way, leading to a big grey area on what people think is awkward vs. what people think appropriate. I still stand by my statement though, IF RELEVANT do not be afraid to bring up the issue.

Exactly. And I'll be the first to tell you that I am probably one of the most conservative people on this forum....like real, real conservative. And if I think that you're fine discussing it so long as it is 1) tactful 2) relevant 3) necessary and 4) in response to something that is brought up by the interviewer, nearly everyone will be even less conservative than I am and be likely to be accepting (barring legitimate bigots, which, again, is outside of your control).

Exactly. And I'll be the first to tell you that I am probably one of the most conservative people on this forum....like real, real conservative. And if I think that you're fine discussing it so long as it is 1) tactful 2) relevant 3) necessary and 4) in response to something that is brought up by the interviewer, nearly everyone will be even less conservative than I am and be likely to be accepting (barring legitimate bigots, which, again, is outside of your control).
I smiled at this post. :)

I strongly disagree. Again, I'm a heterosexual male. I have a beautify wife that I love, but she is not what defines me. Further, the fact that I am attracted to women is certainly not what defines me. If your sexual orientation defines you, or even if you see it that way, you are an overly one-dimensional person. What heterosexual person would feel the need to discuss their sexual preferences in their PS or secondaries? It isn't what defines them and it generally isn't what defines homosexuals. It shouldn't be what defines anyone. Sexual orientation is only one small facet to an extremely complex person.

For an LGBT person, sexuality may not define who they are, but it definitely molds their perspective on many facets of life. I understand you probably don't mean anything offensive by your statement. However, it's, at the very least, quite insensitive because your experience as a member of the majority doesn't qualify you to speak on the experiences of the minority.

In an ideal world, sexuality wouldn't be what defines anybody, but we don't live in an ideal world. We live in a world that can be hostile to LGBT people, and consequently, yes, sexuality becomes a big deal.

Let me say this - if, in an ideal world, schools don't discriminate based on sexuality, why mention sexuality at all? It doesn't change anything, won't affect your application, and doesn't have anything to do with being a doctor (in an ideal world).

That being said, no you shouldn't lie about it or hide from it. Being gay, and more specifically, the social adversity you may have gone through from being gay, may be a big part of your personal story that made you want to be a doctor, and it might be a good diversity essay. Also, mentioning it in the context you wrote about (husband as support system) I don't see being a problem. But I don't see how simply "being gay" has anything to do with being a doctor.

Of course it is worth mentioning that we DON'T live in an ideal world, and that means two things.

1. Being gay may help you because schools will like to add that sort of "diversity" to their classes.

2. "Old school" or super conservative doctors or admissions committee members may still discriminate against you. They probably won't state your sexuality as the reason for this discrimination, but they will find another reason not to like you.

Conclusion: don't hide from it. don't offer it unless you have a good reason to tie in your sexuality to why you want to be a doctor (I think mentioning your husband as part of your support system is totally fine). Realize discrimination still exists and be wary.

Last edited:

Last edited:

NEVER EVER LIE ABOUT WHO YOU ARE!!!! Tell her where she can shove her bigotry!!! I would make formal complaint.

She is an intolerant homophobic doucenozzle. I'm sorry you have to be subjected to such ignorance.

I've been told not to mention it. But, since I'm an older female, I'm going to be grilled on whether my husband is okay with my going to school. I'm also going to be repeatedly asked about how my child-having plans are going to fit into my med school career.

I really wish I were making these up.

I also believe you should be cautious with mentioning your sexuality. In a perfect world this wouldn't hold you back from any acceptances, but unfortunately the world we live in is far from perfect. I've met some students in professional school that are very homophobic and these people are going to be the healthcare professionals of the future, managers, admissions committees, etc. Just based on that fact I can see the possibility of running into someone like this and them being sour about your sexuality. You won't be able to prove a rejection due to being gay, so there's no way the school would ever get in trouble. If it were me I wouldn't mention it, just in case you run into that one person like your advisor.

In any case, good luck on your application cycle.

NEVER EVER LIE ABOUT WHO YOU ARE!!!! Tell her where she can shove her bigotry!!! I would make formal complaint.

She is an intolerant homophobic doucenozzle. I'm sorry you have to be subjected to such ignorance.

Yes, because I'm sure you'll change her mind, end up not making a bigger deal out of it and not end up upsetting other people at your school.

Picking your battles is a sign of maturity. Is the random premed advisor who told you something (presumably to help you) really worth it?

I also believe you should be cautious with mentioning your sexuality. In a perfect world this wouldn't hold you back from any acceptances, but unfortunately the world we live in is far from perfect. I've met some students in professional school that are very homophobic and these people are going to be the healthcare professionals of the future, managers, admissions committees, etc. Just based on that fact I can see the possibility of running into someone like this and them being sour about your sexuality. You won't be able to prove a rejection due to being gay, so there's no way the school would ever get in trouble. If it were me I wouldn't mention it, just in case you run into that one person like your advisor.

In any case, good luck on your application cycle.

Even still, someone who's "homophobic" might be weirded out by your sexual orientation but not decline your acceptance. I interviewed with one of, if not the, most liberal person on staff with my school. He started to transition into ethical/political questions and I said something like "I see what you're getting at......I'm a Christian conservative. I think abortion is entirely wrong...I think X, Y and Z as well.". Anyways, got admitted. They guy totally thinks I'm off base politically but liked me.