Should I reapply right away or wait a couple of years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limbo123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this application cycle is winding down, and it looks like I'm not going to get off of any of my waitlists. As I was preparing for reapplication, I realized that my primary application would look basically identical to last cycle's (at least if I send it in in June). I know that schools like to see significant improvements in reapplicants, so I am contemplating taking several additional gap years (I just took one this past year). What do you guys think I should do: reapply June of this cycle, reapply later this cycle (like September when I might have more activities to put on my app), or take a few more years off? Here's some of my info:

Stats:
MCAT: 33 (14P/9V/10B)
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.88

ECs:
One year as a full-time (paid) clinical research assistant in a major research hospital (this is what I did during this gap year).
Two years (paid) of tutoring at my undergrad.
Various awards and honors related to grades/coursework.
1 year (unpaid) clinical research assistant in undergraduate school's affiliate hospital.
Leadership position related to above research position.
40-ish hours of Habitat for Humanity volunteer work (started doing this after being put on a bunch of WLs. Realized I needed more volunteer work).

Hardly any shadowing (like 5-8 hours, max)
No clinical volunteering
No research pubs or poster presentations

So, obviously I need to work on the bolded things above. I'm thinking about doing Americorps (for a health related project) this next gap year, but I wouldn't be able to put that on my primary if I apply in June. So what do you guys think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Another thing I just realized is that my MCAT is only good for one more cycle. I took it right after my sophomore year, so I wasted a couple years of MCAT viability haha. Damn, I really don't want to retake that.

Your stats are awesome, but I think the fact you didn't get off any waitlists proves the importance of volunteering/shadowing in this process.

If I were you I'd start lining up shadowing and clinical volunteering opportunities ASAP and apply this cycle -- it would be a shame to let your MCAT go to waste. Then you can send updates to schools throughout the cycle once you have some more hours under your belt -- maybe that will be enough to get you some second looks. If you don't hear any positive news by like March of next year, then you could start studying for the MCAT and take it in time for an early application for next year's cycle, with a year of clinical experience under your belt. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a really sad post. I would kill for stats like that. What happened to volunteering?
Well, can you give a list of the schools that you plan on applying to? I am really just curious. A lot of people are applying to 20+ schools, well....it's technical.

By far your biggest issue was WHERE you applied. By and large you basically looked at the first 25 schools that come up on US News Medical School Rankings and said I'll just apply there and then George Washington(which gets as many applications as any school) and I'll be fine. Welp, that's not how it works

The fact you got interviews at Duke and Yale says there's nothing that's really wrong with your application and this is only furthermore the case with looking at your 3 waitlists. A 3.88/34 who applies smartly will get into an MD school if they don't have any major flaws in their application usually and you don't have any if you got the interviews you did. It's also worth noting if you went 0/5 in your interviews that your interview skills could be an issue and something to practice. Now you are not an absolute top notch candidate without significant research and clinical experience but you already know that and that is why you got shut out at the top schools(which is basically the extent of where you applied).

If your MCAT expires DO NOT wait to apply. If you apply smart you will be fine. Now, as for thinking of some school's that aren't as competitive as where you applied here you go.

Albany Medical College
Drexel
Loyola University Chicago
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Copper Medical School of Rowan University
Penn State(still accepts over half of their class from out of state and your stats are above their average by a good margin)
Creighton
Saint Louis University

Keep in mind if you are getting interviews at Yale and Duke you pretty much can apply anywhere outside of schools with strict in state residency standards, but including schools I didn't list that are more competitive such as Boston University and Ohio State. If you do this you should be fine this time around.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with GrapesofRath, your list was too top heavy (and did you apply early). You got interviews so nothing lethal in your app, just wasn't enough to get over the finish line. You also have the unfortunate situation of California residency. Try again, add some Private schools with stats that are bit more forgiving, like U of Miami. Use the MSAR. And do more Habitat for Humanity (I'm doing a lot of that, I love it, and actually feel useful, unlike volunteering to get coffee is some ER). If you are already doing it, you can add hours projected forward. You just can't put in any ECs that your haven't already started. Best wishes to you.

Last edited: