Should I reapply this cycle or not.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Favour517

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I applied last year. I'm waiting to hear back from two schools but i am not very optimistic. I had a 499 MCAT score. I plan on retaking that in July. I have a 3.81 gpa 3.71 sgpa. I have below average EC's . I tried to look for more doctors to shadow, they said they were all so busy since its undeserved and lots of doctors left the area.

There are more opportunities for EC's at a nearby town but I dont have a car. I have about 45 hours of shadowing, and 150 hours from volunteering from a local hospital. I also have 50 hours of volunteering in a homeless shelter. Transport to and from the shelter has been expensive as I had to pay $ 17.00 per round trip. I cant work as a care aide or EMT because I am not a permanent resident or a citizen.

I am graduating this semester, and will move to a place in August where I can find more opportunities. However I would be turning in my app in June. I guess I dont know if I should sit this cycle out and work on my EC's or I should just reapply now. I think I know why I messed my MCAT up now. I had less than three weeks to study , and did only one practice test. I feel a lot better about taking it this year.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I think your application will be DOA with a 499 MCAT, especially as a non-citizen. In my opinion it would be best to wait until June 2017 and spend the extra year cultivating better ECs, and more importantly retaking the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rule #1, do not take the MCAT unless you are scoring well on the practice exams. :uhno:

You're in the same situation as I am, but I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I'm an international student too so I feel you :(

Are you DACA? F1 visa?
Both of these categories have special needs for which a below average MCAT are especially problematic.
F1. My verbal section brought me down. I was ok with the sciences. I had a 128 in chemistry. wouldnt they consider that. I had only two weeks to study chemistry, I feel like can do much better now that I will have more time to study.

F1. My verbal section brought me down. I was ok with the sciences. I had a 128 in chemistry. wouldnt they consider that. I had only two weeks to study chemistry, I feel like can do much better now that I will have more time to study.
In 2014, 1901 international students applied. 300 matriculated to US MD schools. You need to be stronger than a domestic candidate with an excellent strategy for success: https://students-residents.aamc.org...ool/article/applying-international-applicant/

Last edited by a moderator: