Should I reapply this upcoming cycle or wait a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blastokine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for only MD programs this cycle and did not have much luck. I received one interview and ultimately ended up getting rejected from that school. I actually had the opportunity of conversing with the dean of admissions over the phone about why I didn't get accepted and he said there were 3 main reasons:
-Lack of non-medical community service
-Not enough shadowing
-Not enough varied clinical experiences. The bulk of my clinical experience has come from being an EMT but he said they really like to see clinical experiences that take place in a hospital or a clinic, particularly where you get to see a doctor work.

He also said that my interview wasn't the issue and that all of my interviewers enjoyed my interview. In addition, he also suggested that I wait a cycle to bolster my application instead of reapplying this coming cycle, he didn't believe there was enough time for me to make significant improvements.

My stats and EC's are:
- 508 MCAT (second try)
-3.66 gpa, 3.67 sgpa, graduated in 2016.
-About 800 hours of EMT experience
-Almost a year of full time research experience with 2 poster presentations and a publication coming
-Spent a week abroad as a medical volunteer
-About 20 hours of shadowing physicians at a clinic
-About 200 hours of varied non-medical community service through my fraternity (where I held a leadership position for 2 years) in undergrad
-I've been a SAT/ACT tutor for about the past 3 months now.

I am about to start shadowing a couple physicians, volunteer at my local hospital, and I also found a non-profit organization near my town that does non-medical community service that I am joining. Now I am not sure if there is enough time for me to gain quality experiences through these events to put on my application before this next cycle opens up. I am also going to apply DO the next time I apply to improve my chances. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the Dean of Admissions Advice. Even if you do gather the technical "hours", seeing you involved in something for less than a month or two before applying could make it look like you're rushing, or trying to check a box. Take a year, build that app, get away from the application stress, and then try again when you're at your best!

I think you're fine for DO - shadow some DO physicians, get a letter and apply. You're borderline for MD (stats right below the median), and unless you make significant improvements, getting rejected by MDs next cycle is possible, even if you wait a cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools did you apply to?

Anyway, apply broadly to many DO schools and you'll almost certainly be accepted somewhere. No need to sacrifice an extra year of your career.

Apply MD also this year. You have a good shot at that, too, especially with some extra checkbox-ish ECs.

Which schools did you apply to?

Anyway, apply broadly to many DO schools and you'll almost certainly be accepted somewhere. No need to sacrifice an extra year of your career.

Apply MD also this year. You have a good shot at that, too, especially with some extra checkbox-ish ECs.
100% agree with my young colleague.

Target these schools:
Temple
Jefferson
EVMS
Tulane
NYMC
Drexel
U Toledo
Seton Hall
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
VCU
U VM
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
Your state school(s).
Nova MD
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.