Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I reapply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by premed, Mar 21, 2004.

1. premed

premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys,

I took the August 2002 MCAT and got a 33Q (8VR, 14PS, 11BS). My BCPM is 2.91, non-BCPM 3.32, and overall is 3.03. Since I have not yet had a single interview, I am planning to reapply. I have taken a year off working as a lab tech and have continued to work on extracurriculars. My question is...should I reapply to medical school for the following year even though my GPA and MCAT have not changed? I am hoping to attend the Georgetown Special Master's Program while reapplying. I think applying after the program would be better, but my MCAT scores expire after this next round of applications. Any advice?

Thanks

2. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    SMP is probably good for you. You need to show you can handle medical level coursework. Keep up the EC's in the meantime, and apply super early.

3. GTea

GTea Member
    7+ Year Member

You should first check the application requirements for each school you're re-applying to. For instance, I think UCLA only allows reapplicants to apply for the following year they were first rejected. Many schools, esp. UC's, discourage a 3rd application. On the other hand, though, some schools allow you to apply as many times as you want to. So, check with each school.

Personally, if I was reapplying, I would take two years off and do something significant. I mean, if you're reapplying this year, you don't have the time to accomplish something to boost your application. If I were you, I would take this time off even if it means that I have to take the MCAT again. But, thats only my opinion.

4. MrTee

MrTee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you think it's your gpa holding you back, then you should probably wait till after your master's program to apply again. Or put it this way: if the only thing that's changed since last year is the job and some extracurriculars, do you think that will get you interviews and acceptances? If you think yes, then apply again. Otherwise, hold off.

Another plan could be just to apply to a few schools you think you might have a good chance at while you do your master's, then if you have to, apply again after the master's.

5. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

obviously your gpa is holding you back. i think you should do the masters if you think youll do better.

my best advice would to be to go and speak to the director of admissions at the school you really want to go to and think you have the best chance of now and later on. see what she/he has to say... and dont be afraid to go talk to the director!! GO!!!

6. edfig99

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    looking at the little bit you posted about yourself, it really is the GPA holding you back and you probably should not go ahead and reapply this year. Having screened as many applications as I have, you have a rock solid mcat score, but your BCPM average really pulls you down when compared to many other applicants. the first stage of the application process is a pure numbers game - mcat and gpa, and a low bcpm probably isn't going to trigger any of the screens to get you into the interview pool (the second stage of the application process), no matter what jobs/extracurriculars/volunteer activities. unless you had some PHENOMENAL activities, or something very...i dunno...revealing in your letters or your PS, I wouldn't have screened you in.

also from a screener's standpoint, it's actually sad to see applications from one year to the next where the only thing the applicant did differently, is maybe volunteer or work somewhere, without there being any significant change in any of the objective data.

In your situation, I would recommend to really think about whether or not you truly want to do medicine by the MD/DO route. If yes, then work on (preferably) a science master's degree to show you can handle graduate level science work. You probably don't need to retake the MCAT as you'll run the risk of scoring lower and that doesn't look great. However, check with the schools you're interested in since some do put limits on how "old" your mcat scores can be for an application. Continue juggling the activities your juggling, as long as they're meaningful activities to you. And when you do apply, make sure you apply to a broad smattering of schools to increase your chances of an interview.

7. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

carribean isnt a horrible idea.

8. Bones2008

Bones2008 waiting for retirement
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Given his MCAT, yes it is.

9. premed

premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks for all the responses guys. If I don't apply again this June, do the SMP and reapply next June, I would have to retake the MCAT this August. Is this the best route? I feel like I would be restarting my whole medical school journey. :(

Thanks again

10. edik

edik Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Reapplying sucks. But people, including myself, do it. You know what they say about successful people -- they got up 1 more time than they fell...
    Before applying, I would suggest going to mdapplicants.com and playing around with numbers. Look for schools who reject applicants with high MCAT and low GPA, and don't apply to them. I.e. do some research.
    And this time around, make no mistakes. Apply early, really try to get that personal statement down, etc.
    One last thing. Schools don't like that GPA to be under 3.0. See if you can raise it to 3. Post-bach or something. Maybe even a couple of classes in the summer. It would look really impressive if you took Biochemstry or something like that, and got an A.
    Good luck.
    PS. When I didn't get in on my first try, it took me 7 years to get back up (long story). But now I am sitting on 3 acceptances. It can be done.

11. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

The Original poster has an 8 in verbal...as a screener yourself, would you consider it as a major red flag for someone who's a ESL applicant?

12. edfig99

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    well...if I saw an 8, I would actively look for evidence of the applicant being an ESL applicant -- once I know that English isn't their first language, the utility of the VR section drops dramatically. I also look at the type of coursework being taken, including English/writing courses.

A non-ESL with an 8, then that's a different story -- presumably English is their first language so unless there's some kind of learning disability, the 8 could hurt them.

13. premed

premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Technically, I learned English first...but it is my better language. :(

Thanks for all the great replies. I would be lost without SDN.

14. vtucci

vtucci Attending in Emergency Medicine
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would wait the year. Your MCAT is pretty solid but if I was on the adcom, I'd question the 8 in verbal when you did so well in the others- maybe you could raise it. Even if you are an ESL student, you still need to communicate effectively and the adcoms seem to associate that in part with the verbal score.

The GPA is definitely something it sounds like you can raise. If you raise it to a 3.3, you will probably have your pick of schools.