should i release all mcat scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedCube

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
first one taken in 1993. second taken within the last 2 years.

does it matter if i block the first one, considering it was XX+ years ago?

Members don't see this ad.

If theres no disadvantage in blocking the first one, why not block it?

IcedCube said:
first one taken in 1993. second taken within the last 2 years.

first one: 8,12,10
second one: 12,10,12

does it matter if i block the first one, considering it was 10+ years ago?

Ok, just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. They'll see how many times you've taken it right? If not, then I'm misunderstanding the process, ignore what follows.

If you knew someone took the MCAT before and didn't release their scores, what would you assume they were? Low, right? Probably much lower than they really were.

Your overall score from the first one is not that bad. You have one low section, but you've easily proven that you fixed whatever minor shortcomings you had in that area. I would say it's better for them to know you took it, the score was quite decent, but you've improved to even more solid scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same question.

I've heard that adcoms can see you've blocked the scores, it's just that they can't see what your scores are, and they don't like people blocking scores. Not sure if that's true though.

Anyone has more ideas?

Two things: First of all I didn't know that you could block scores. I thought the the schools see all your scores. The only way to avoid that is to void your test right after you take it but then you don't get the score either.

Second, your MCAT scores are only good for 3 years so I'm not sure whether or not they would even look at the old scores considering it was done so long ago.

TheRussian said:
Two things: First of all I didn't know that you could block scores. I thought the the schools see all your scores. The only way to avoid that is to void your test right after you take it but then you don't get the score either.

Second, your MCAT scores are only good for 3 years so I'm not sure whether or not they would even look at the old scores considering it was done so long ago.

The rules have changed. Now your scores are automatically released, that wasn't always the case.

My AMCAS application shows my old scores very prominently. They may be chronologically 10 years ago, but they're within centimeters of my new scores (not on there yet, soon). Human nature is going to consider them with them right there.