Should I release my scores?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by caseyc, Jun 19, 1999.

1. caseyc

caseyc New Member

I just recieved my MCAT scores. Not a pretty sight. 6 verbal, 7 physical, 9 biological. My question is whether or not I should release these scores. I plan on applying to my state school (UofWashington) and about 10 osteopathic schools. My GPA is 3.8 (3.75 science, 3.85 non-science). Will I even get looked at with these MCAT scores. I have great extracurriculars as well as research, volunteer, and hospital work experience. I plan on taking it again in August but I am worried that this will put me way behind in the application process. Any words of wisdom? Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. libuser

libuser Junior Member

Buddy, repeat the test, as you indicated. To be downright honest, I wouldn't release the scores if they were mine. This is distressful because your other scores and activities are great. These MCAT scores will keep you out, I am almost certain. The 6 in verbal is killer, as well as the 7. Nothing is really going to compensate for getting something lower than a 7. If your low was only the 7, then I would consider releasing it! You should really be shooting for 8's, 9's, 10's, or higher. My general rule is that anything less than 8 is not good in the eyes of admissions. There are exceptions, but most would not have good results with your scores. I suspect that you need to practice more taking the verbal reasoning. Your total MCAT score is only a 22. That should be around a 26, 27, 28 or higher. Good luck, the MCAT sucks!

4. smspremed

smspremed Junior Member

I personally think that your overall qualities look great. I think that especially if your are going the Osteopathic route. I think that if you have a lot of activities, your GPA is high, and your didn't get 5's, then you should be in a good place. I say go for it and send in your stuff. Otherwise you won't get interviews until after you get your results from the August MCAT - TOOOOOO Late. Go for it!! Send them in! Good luck.

5. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Casey,

I agree with the other posters...other than your MCAT scores, you look very competitive. However, I would hold the scores and release them after the re-take in August. While not a cardinal rule, many schools will automatically screen-out folks with scores below an 8...that is less likely with the Osteo schools; but you have two scores below an eight.

It is not impossible, although more difficult, to get in with Aug MCAT scores--->I did it this year with August scores. I didn't even complete my secondaries until late January. Also, my MCAT's weren't stellar either [v-8/p-11/ws-Q/b-10].

So, take heart!! Hold those scores and kick-ass in August. Then you can comfortably submit those supplementals.

Best of luck and success to you!

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

6. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

I would not send them in either. 22 is too low and it will stand out. Where there any extenuating circumstances for these scores? I am asking because statistically, most candidates don't improve by too many points between one MCAT administration and the following one, unless there were some extenuating circumstances during the first one.

If I was you, I would pause and think "why" my scores were so low and if, realistically,I could significantly improve them between April and August. If you take the MCAT again and get similar scores you are really jeopardizing your application overall in a way that goes beyond being "put behind" in the application process...

7. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I think the advice has been pretty much on the target. While DO looks tend to look "past the numbers" a 6 is too low. There was an article recently published in Academic Medicine that showed students with MCAT scores at or less than 7 per section experience significantly higher rates of academic difficulty than 8 or above.

Interestingly, there is a point of diminishing returns of the predictive power of the MCAT. People in the 8 and 9 range (where most DO school students are) are at no higher risk than those in the 10+ range. Again, this demonstrates what I've been trying to tell premeds for years: The MCAT is a screening tool, not an achievement test.

Huff KL, et al.
    When are students most at risk of encountering academic difficulty? A study of the 1992 matriculants to U.S. medical schools.
    Acad Med. 1999 Apr;74(4):454-60.
    PMID: 10219232; UI: 99235972.

8. Bryan123

Bryan123 Junior Member

Friends,
    Like Old Dave said, retake your MCAT. I just started the Kaplan deal last week,sign up and take it! if nothing else, it gives you structure with studying and will help you.
    As far as releasing, it doesn't matter, just do well on your August MCAT.
    Best of luck,
    Keep us posted on your situation,
    Bryan

9. njdevil

Attending Physician
    take them again...you need to at least be at the national avg. 8-9ish. I got two sevens the first time...they became an 8 and 9 on the second go around. Do Kaplan.

10. TP

TP Member

I've heard that it's always best to release your scores. On your record there will be a no release mark which can be worst than your actual score. Admissions committees will see that and they can interpret it in negative ways. They can look at it as you not being completely open with them or they can interpret it as a very low score (lower than your actual score). Technically, they shouldn't look at these un-released scores like this because it negates why we have an option to not release our scores. HOwever, admissions committees are comprised of humans and thus human nature applies and therefore assumptions ensue. In addition, it's always a plus to show improvement. So if you take the august test and get a higher score, it'll make you look better because they can see the marked improvement from a 22 to a whatever. The key, is that you must do better. Doing worst or getting the similar score will be a huge strike against you.

11. ReneeWB

ReneeWB Senior Member

I think that you should wait until you see your August scores before applying. I applied last year with a 22 (10V,7P,5B) and got nowhere. I retook the test this year and improved that 5 to an 8. I got in. I was told by a couple of DO schools after last year's failure that I needed at least 7's before the admissions committee would take me seriously. I guess they were right!

Renee

12. Synergy

Synergy Member

Well, I can speak from some experience. I had similar stats as you, except that I scored higher than you on the verbal and got a 6 on the physical sciences section the first time I took the test. I released my scores, and to my astonishment I had a few interviews including Northwestern and St. Louis University, and 2 of my state schools. I did not get an interview at a DO school though. Anyway, during my interviews I was continuously asked why my MCATs did not match my GPAs. I explained to them that I was tired (didn't sleep at all), and that I could not finish any sections. I told them I was not trying to make excuses. They advised me to retake the test that year and they would wait to see them. Well, then I was placed on a waiting list afterward at one of the schools surprisingly. I thought they would just wait to get my scores. Anyway, it ended up I could not take the August MCAT because my grandfather died. Needless to say I did not get accepted, so I had to reapply. I retook the MCAT, and scored much higher (I guess due to increased studying and a good nights sleep). So I think you should release your scores to get the ball going, and prepare to take the MCAT again. I thought they looked at your last two scores anyway. Or is that only if you released it? In either case won't they know you took it and wonder why you didn't release your score? I would seek advice from your pre-med advisor or someone else that may counsel you adequately. This is just my personal experience and opinion. Good luck