Should I release my Step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antapolar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked around on the forum but cannot find a situation quite like mine (and if there is thread already open I apologize). But at this point this is bothering me so much that I really could use some advice.

I did much poorly on my USMLE step 2 CK, in fact I barely passed it with 205. My step 1 score is 219. Under some friend's suggestion, when I submitted my application I haven't received my step 2 score and I set it to manual release. Right now I have gotten several interviews but I know it is under the assumption on my step 1 score alone. Should I go ahead and release my step 2? or hold out until after match?

I have read on forum that some say don't lie, b/c program can see when you intended to take your step 2. Some say just bring it up if they asked during interview, and obviously there are the group of ppl that proposed holding it back.

What should I do? My interviews are coming up next week and this is seriously affecting my confidence and concentration. Any advice helps, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Double check with the program websites. A number of programs I applied to state that a Step 2 score is needed prior to ranking. If that's the case for you, you're probably better off releasing it before the interview and explaining why you did poorly on it then.

219 on S1 isn't spectacular so a 205 is right in the ballpark. no point in hiding it...better to go ahead and release it so you can have the chance to defend yourself. odds are nobody will even ask.

I am in a similar predicament.

Step 1: 250
Step 2: 221

I have interviews at some very competitive places.

1. Would you release?
2. Can programs see if you have taken Step 2 yet?
3. How many wait until next Jan/feb/march to take step 2 ck?

Thanks in advance.

I am in a similar predicament.

Step 1: 250
Step 2: 221

I have interviews at some very competitive places.

1. Would you release?
2. Can programs see if you have taken Step 2 yet?
3. How many wait until next Jan/feb/march to take step 2 ck?

Thanks in advance.

I would hide it until the last possible moment. That score is enough of a drop that it could potentially hurt you.

What I would do is not upload it to ERAS. If you find out that a program definitely requires step II to rank you, I would email a copy of your score report directly to the PC in January.

I would hide it until the last possible moment. That score is enough of a drop that it could potentially hurt you.

What I would do is not upload it to ERAS. If you find out that a program definitely requires step II to rank you, I would email a copy of your score report directly to the PC in January.
the problem with this strategy is that it will require that PD to specifically remember that you sent the Step 2 score directly and now meet criteria for ranking. Most programs will just re-screen their applicants via ERAS and ditch all apps that don't have a Step 2 score associated with it.

I'm not arguing with the logic of it (which is completely reasonable), I'm just saying it runs a high risk of not working.

quick question to you guys...

If someone has a poor step 2ck compared to step 1 and they do release it very late (e.g. February) in the interview season to make it onto the rank list:

1. Will it affect their position on the actual list? Based on what I have heard, after the interview day is over, the committee sits around in a board room discussing each applicant and assigning them a score to place on the rank list. One coordinator said that they won't be reopening files to reevaluate applicants later because they simply don't have enough time to do that for 200+ interviewees. She told me that if you have CK when you interview, it will be used in your rank score. If you don't, then that's fine cuz it won't be used.

If a program does require a CK to get ranked, would they knock the applicant down a few spots or just keep him/her at the same spot if you release it several months after the interview date?

2. When you say "release the score late", exactly how "late" are we talking about? February?

3. If we do release the score in February, how likely is it for all the programs to actually download the score report and use it against you?

4. Do programs email applicants telling them they must release it or is it just implied that we must?

At my program, sending a copy of the score report to the PC would be sufficient. It would get added to your file and "box checked"

As master chef indicated, we don't re-screen off of eras after the interviews.

That said, I'm general surgery so we are small (rank list only about 75 candidates long) and a bit easier to keep track of.

At our program, a good step II will help you. Not having it at all if you have a 250 step I would not be a big deal. Not having it at all if you have a 225 step I...not so good (i.e. why haven't you taken the initiative to crush step II and improve your application).

When I said late - I meant January or so. I wouldn't wait til the day before or anything.

Programs will most likely tell you their step II requirements on the interview day if at all. If they don't tell you, ask. Don't leave anything implied. That's how you end up getting dropped from a rank list...

The answers to your questions are going to ve very specialty and program specific. There is no way to know what programs will do with your scores, how much they will affect your ranking, etc.

Reactions: 1 user