Should I rely on my pre-med committee or interfolio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pre-med committee and they seem to ask for ALOT before summer starts for them to process my lors and such. Would it make a difference if I just got two LORs from two professors and document them into my interfolio? I plan on applying to basically most, if not all the DO schools. Will all the schools accept my interfolio and two professor LORs as a substitute for my committee LOR? What are the pros and cons of using interfolio instead?
Please help...

Members don't see this ad.

I applied using interfolio without a committee letter because of issues with my school's pre-health office, and it went alright. I had letters from 2 science professors, a liberal arts professor and a DO, and received interviews at 3 out of 4 of the DO schools I applied to. All of the schools I was interested in allowed for individual letters en lieu of a committee letter. I do think that the DO letter is very important, though, so you should try to have a DO letter whether you use the committee or not.

I decided to use interfolio instead of my pre-med committee and do not regret my decision at all. It’s really simple to use and nice to have control over your own letters to make sure everything gets sent where you need it. If you do use interfolio make sure you have your letter writers upload your letters electronically though; if not, it could take weeks for them to be available for you to send out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interfolio is great. You know when the LOR is submitted and you get confirmation the school received it. I submitted my pre-med committee letter through interfolio and it worked great.

Interfolio is great. You know when the LOR is submitted and you get confirmation the school received it. I submitted my pre-med committee letter through interfolio and it worked great.

Yeah, Interfolio is worth every penny!

There isn't an admission preference for either is there? What are the cons of using Interfolio instead of the committee?

Quick question, do all schools accept interfolio? I will be applying in the upcoming cycle and want to have everything ready so I once May rolls around I can just hit submit and be on my way.

My pre-med committee was asking a lot as well, but I was under the impression that the comittee letter was atleast somewhat important. So, I went through all the unnecessary (and in my opinion, ridiculous) things they wanted.

I would like to know which schools don't accept Interfolio as well. I know hc com doesn't.

Yeah it seems like they want me to complete things similar to secondary app work, but isn't that unnecessary/repetitive? So would you suggest me using Interfolio instead? I'm just worried that i'll regret it in the long run...

Use interfolio. You can track it and have it sent electronically or snail mail. Customer service with them is awesome. Just send the pre-med committee instructions for uploading to the site.

you can have interfolio mail the letters. so for those saying that a school doesn't use interfolio, i'm guessing you mean they don't use the electronic submission, right? because it would be news to me that a school wouldn't accept a mailed letter. when in doubt, check with the school! if they want a signature across the envelope flap or something like that, then i guess you will have to get the writer to mail them all individually. i used interfolio and it is awesome.

All schools accept Interfolio.
For MSU COM though, they have to do a different recommendation form.

not saying you won't get in this year
but one thing that I really like interfolio is the fact that you can store LORs..
1. let say.. unfortunatey you didn't get in this cycle due to ur MCAT score or GPA or applying late in the cycle (assuming nothing wrong with ur LORs and u didn't have much more to add)
when u apply next year.. u don't have to go through the hazzel of asking the same recommentors again to get the same letters (and avoid the embarrasement of having to explain why u didn't get in the first time.. )
2. and also, when u decided to apply to other schools, u don't have to bother the recommentor again...
3. u dont have to guess if ur recommentor send it in on time or not... and dont have to constantly checking with them to see if they sent it

But honestly, I wish AACOMAS can start their own letter service like AMCAS... it's one major difference btw the 2 process that I felt AACOMAS should work on..

just my 2 cents
good luck!