Should I report this incidence to my school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atethesun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to cover my butt legally?

So I was doing a forensic psych elective last month at the local city court psych clinic.
Anyway, I needed to drop something off for a fellow there this morning. I called her before I went.
I got there and the security guy let me in because he knows me and I had my badge/scrubs on.
When I walked to the mailbox and I was about to put the envelope in the mailbox, one of the employees came out and asked, "who are you, what are you doing behind the desk"
I was like, "I'm from the hospital and I'm dropping some stuff off for Dr ______ Her mailbox is here"
He said, "you can't be here"
I said, "I just got off the phone with Dr _____ and she knows I'm dropping something off for her here"
He was like, "who?"
"Dr ____ _______. You can call her now if you want. I also know most of the attendings here, you can go find them if you insist"
"Well, I'm not in the mood for this. How do I know you didn't take anything from the desk"
"I can empty my pockets for you? And look here, this is an envelope addressed for Dr __________ Besides, I am wearing the hospital badge and there is a reason we wear badges... for security purposes, you know......"
Anyway, I just left because he was just being a jackass. When I was leaving, I made sure to empty my pockets for the security guy just to make a point.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reporting as in:
What if he claims that I stole something?

Actually this was the first time that something like this happened to me.
It was just weird because usually people won't give you problems if you have a hospital badge and you are just doing stuff for the staff physicians/residents. You know what I'm saying?

It just came out of the blue. That "how do I know you didn't take anything from the desk" was totally uncalled for.

i know it's hard to think on the spot when something like this happens but if you encounter a similar situation in the future you should complete your task while you are talking to the person, get their full name and their job title and let them know that you don't appreciate the accusatory tone and you will report it to their superior (assuming this is someone who isn't a physician ....you don't actually have to report it to anyone but at least you have their name in case they decide to take it upon themself to take the letter out of the mailbox and discard it or something).

Basically you should've taken the offensive tone here and not put yourself in the position of having to defend yourself since you aren't doing anything wrong.

I'm going to bet that they had their equivalent of jcaho doing some type of institutional review. Staff always get extra nit-picky during those site visits.

I once had a nurse refuse to update me on a patient because i forgot to wear my ID badge even though i had been on that service for 6 weeks.

Just let it go.

i know it's hard to think on the spot when something like this happens but if you encounter a similar situation in the future you should complete your task while you are talking to the person, get their full name and their job title and let them know that you don't appreciate the accusatory tone and you will report it to their superior (assuming this is someone who isn't a physician ....you don't actually have to report it to anyone but at least you have their name in case they decide to take it upon themself to take the letter out of the mailbox and discard it or something).

Basically you should've taken the offensive tone here and not put yourself in the position of having to defend yourself since you aren't doing anything wrong.

+1

Its not your role to defend yourself...after you said that "Dr. X know you are there", end of conversation. I wouldn't even entertain talking to this person anymore...worst case is they are going to call Dr. X and make fool of themself.

Although in truth, this is probably a case of transference, there is a 99.9% chance they were yelled at by a pt, staff member or someone else earlier that pissed them off.

I highly doubt this person verbally attacks every hospital employee who goes behind the desk. Just sayin...