Last edited:

Omppu27

El Tiburon
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Pawnee, Indiana
Status
Medical Student
I've never even heard of someone getting an interview before submitting a secondary... Interesting. That being said, I doubt your secondary would even hold much weight to the addmissions committee. Especially if you do well in your interview.

OP
wiloghby

wiloghby

Perpetually interviewing
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student

Last edited:

Omppu27

El Tiburon
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Pawnee, Indiana
Status
Medical Student
Me neither. That's why I wanted to hurry up and submit a secondary before they changed their minds :unsure:. I don't have any reason to believe that this particular school has a hard time recruiting exceptionally qualified applicants.
I'd be very surprised if they withdrew your II... The only issue I see here is that the adcom might view you as irresponsible because you can't meet deadlines or something (I wouldn't and odds are they probably won't think this anyway). But honestly, they'd probably want you to submit your best possible piece of writing so perhaps they'd be not only willing to let you resubmit but might actually encourage it. Perhaps let us know what school this is? Other students might be able to give you a better idea of what kinda adcom your dealing with here.

OP
wiloghby

wiloghby

Perpetually interviewing
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student

Last edited:

Omppu27

El Tiburon
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Pawnee, Indiana
Status
Medical Student
You're probably right that they'd reject you. I don't think it's you being irresponsible either. They might make a note in your file but I don't think it'd be viewed as a negative. Especially considering the situation you've described.

OP
wiloghby

wiloghby

Perpetually interviewing
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
You're probably right that they'd reject you. I don't think it's you being irresponsible either. They might make a note in your file but I don't think it'd be viewed as a negative. Especially considering the situation you've described.
What I mean is: Originally I submitted my secondary as quickly as I could *after* I got the interview invite because I was afraid they'd withdraw the invite after realizing my secondary wasn't complete yet. I later realized that they were fully aware that my secondary was never submitted and actually would have given me many more weeks to work on it even though it was past the deadline. I am now wondering whether or not I should request that they allow me to submit the secondary *again* because I did not understand the weird situation, or whether that would look bad.

I am not concerned about having submitted my secondary past the deadline... they knew that was going to be the case when they invited me to interview after their own secondary deadline.

Omppu27

El Tiburon
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Pawnee, Indiana
Status
Medical Student
What I mean is: Originally I submitted my secondary as quickly as I could *after* I got the interview invite because I was afraid they'd withdraw the invite after realizing my secondary wasn't complete yet. I later realized that they were fully aware that my secondary was never submitted and actually would have given me many more weeks to work on it even though it was past the deadline. I am now wondering whether or not I should request that they allow me to submit the secondary *again* because I did not understand the weird situation, or whether that would look bad.

I am not concerned about having submitted my secondary past the deadline... they knew that was going to be the case when they invited me to interview after their own secondary deadline.
Lol yes, I understand. Perhaps my posts were confusing. I think if you ask to resubmit, and they let you, they will not view it negatively. Especially if you explain why you scrambled to submit it.

Nov 8, 2013

I wouldn't rock the boat, probably bringing more attention to yourself by trying to resubmit a secondary

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
writing 'slightly' better secondary essays would not be worth ruffling feathers to try and get a new secondary resubmitted. In the end, it will likely not come down to your secondary essays to makes or break your application. Your GPA/MCAT/ECs/interview will speak much louder.

It might be a good idea, if you are able to write something different and 'better', to put in the form of a letter of interest later in your cycle.

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I highly doubt your secondary will matter much if they gave you an II without having submitted it in the first place...

OP
wiloghby

wiloghby

Perpetually interviewing
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I highly doubt your secondary will matter much if they gave you an II without having submitted it in the first place...
Thanks, that's all I need to know. I was leaning the same way... and yes, I am planning to write some thoughtful application updates (and a LoI if I fall in love with the school on interview day).

Thanks everyone.