Should I reschedule an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmstp21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sick and having an interview coming up this Wed. What do you guys think about rescheduling an interview? Thanks so much everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I am sick and having an interview coming up this Wed. What do you guys think about rescheduling an interview? Thanks so much everyone!

How sick? Is it a disease or somethig that would pull real weight when talking to them over the phone?

Members don't see this ad :)
So when you get sick are you not going to go to class or clinical rotations? When you are a doctor and you are sick are you going to skip work at the hospital? Suck it up! Going to an interview even when you are not at your best will show that you take your obligations seriously and you will be someone that people can count on!

So when you get sick are you not going to go to class or clinical rotations? When you are a doctor and you are sick are you going to skip work at the hospital? Suck it up! Going to an interview even when you are not at your best will show that you take your obligations seriously and you will be someone that people can count on!

I would skip work if I was down with something infectious like a flu. Wouldn't want to spread the virus to the whole ward. I mean, people (like young children and old people) could die from a simple flu.

Anyway, reschedule your interview if you think your condition will not allow (loose bowel or constant vomitting, etc) and you think won't be able to do well. Interview day can be long and stressful and med schools certainly don't want people vomitting all over their waiting room.

Just my 2 cents...

Seems rather irresponsible to go to work if you are contagious. Save the compassion for another day

normally, i'd say skip it so you can bring your A-game. but seeing as its december, i'm gonna say go. rescheduling is so tough especially this late into it. a lot of schools have a lot of their jan interviews lined up with little wiggle room so canceling in the last week of 06 interviews might shoot you down to like a late jan interview and that gives you a slimmer chance of admission (ie more people to compete with or maybe fewer spots available and more stressful at interview). so if its not ebola, malaria, yellow fever, a sudden case of down's syndrome, etc, I'd go and play up my illness to show dedication.

Seems rather irresponsible to go to work if you are contagious. Save the compassion for another day

It really depends on what type of doctor you are or where you work I think. What if you work in the ER, you cant just skip work. You have to either get someone to cover your shift which is highly unlikely, or go to work. I mean the risks are much smaller than the benefits in this case. If you work in the ICU maybe its not such a good idea to go when your sick because those patients may die from catching a simple flu. Either way you have to be responsible for what you do. I just think that you have to be really really sick to skip work, not just sniffiling. I worked with an ER doc the other day that could barely speak, but he still felt that just being at work would benefit more patients then it would hurt, and it did.

It really depends on what type of doctor you are or where you work I think. What if you work in the ER, you cant just skip work. You have to either get someone to cover your shift which is highly unlikely, or go to work. I mean the risks are much smaller than the benefits in this case. If you work in the ICU maybe its not such a good idea to go when your sick because those patients may die from catching a simple flu. Either way you have to be responsible for what you do. I just think that you have to be really really sick to skip work, not just sniffiling. I worked with an ER doc the other day that could barely speak, but he still felt that just being at work would benefit more patients then it would hurt, and it did.

Utter insanity. This is why people think we're wacko.

Actually, this happens all the time. It's common courtesy among colleagues.

As far as the OP, I would reschedule if it's something contagious or if you have something along the lines of bowel problems. Otherwise, I think you can pull it off, and you interviewer will probably be sympathetic :thumbup:

Before we make such judgement calls there are a few things to take into consideration.

First and foremost, we don't know what the OP is defining as sick here. Whether it is sick like a congestion from a cold or sick like a really bad flu with full out vomitting and nausea or something worse for that matter.

Whether or not he or she cancels depends on the extent of how sick they are.

Secondly, work places give certain amount of sick days for a reason and that reason is they know things happen and people don't plan on getting sick but if they are seriously weak and ill then you don't want to push them into coming into work.

Thirdly, we will be working around sick patients whole day some day and when you work with ill people you are working with people especially those with weaker immune systems then you better believe its better to take a day off then to spread your sickness to a patient if it is contagious such as the flu or even a cold.

As a case in point, I volunteer in a pediatric oncology clinic. The clinic has other departments but most of the volunteers are always near the onco side rather then the rehab or other depts. Hence, we work with kids with significantly weaker immune systems then our own. First off, their immune systems are weaker because they are children and children and old people as a general rule of thumb have weaker immune systems. In the case of the former group its due to unfully developed immune systems. But to top it off these patients also have a weaker system because chemo and other cancer therapy affecting their systems.

So you see when you have red flags like that its not safe to go in and work if you are sick because something that is easy for us to fight off could sometimes be detrimental to patients like that. Our volunteer coordinator tells us not to bother coming in if we are sick and I can imagine that any sane medical professional wouldn't want a doctor to come in if they are severely contagious and working with people with very weakened immune systems.

That's just my two cents.

Hey Noshie,

I read your other response and I guess I agree it depends on both the kind of medicine you are in and extent of how sick you are. But in this case the OP still hasnt told us anything about how sick they are for us to give any sound advice.