1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Should I reschedule and study for 3 more months?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Jumb0, 09.22.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Jumb0

Jumb0 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am scheduled to take the MCAT on October 25th, but I don't feel like I have enough time to reach my peak level of performance. I've scored a 33 on AAMC 3, 4, and 5, but I am really hoping for around a 36 on the real thing, and these scores just aren't cutting it. In my heart of hearts, I don't feel like a month will be enough time to unlock my full potential. What's more, I am currently taking three lab courses as part of my DIY post-bacc, so that eats away a lot of time from my MCAT prep.

If I rescheduled for late January, I would have the luxury of unadulterated study time during all of winter break. I still have 11 Kaplan Exams and 5 AAMC full lengths at my disposal, and I want to make the most out of them, not just squeeze them in this last month.

The Dilemma:

Reschedule for January 23rd:
    • Pro = Three more months of study time, which includes a winter break with no distractions.
    • Con = All-or-nothing: No opportunity to retake the current format if I do poorly.
    Keep my October 25th date:
    • Pro = I can still have a retake in the current format if I do poorly, thus avoiding MCAT2015.
    • Con = Less time to study. May not be fully prepared.

What do I do?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bambam92

bambam92 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Pushing it back that long when you are already scoring 33 with just over a month out from test date sounds risky to me. If you keep going hard the next month I see no reason why you can't hit that 35+ you want. Most people seem to see the largest jump in their scores the last month due to doing FL's and extensive post game. I.e. you gain a few points just by becoming acclimated to the test so to speak.

4. brood910

brood910 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If money is not a problem for you, why not take it in Oct and retake it in Jan if you have to? No need to give up one more chance to take it bf it changes.

5. rolliespring

rolliespring Gin no Samurai 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think re-taking will be an option since most seats in Jan are filling up.

6. brood910

brood910 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Depends on where you live.

7. kinipela

kinipela 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you live in Guam or Alaska you could find a seat! Lol

8. Jumb0

Jumb0 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I live in Massachusetts. I am very confident there will be January spots open in November. People always cancel their dates around the 1 month mark when they realize they are not prepared.

9. kinipela

kinipela 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just be sure you'll be willing to travel if that isn't the case. I just looked and as of now, only 2 out of the 5 January dates have seats available in Massachusetts. It changes frequently but just wanted you to be aware of that. However, with a 33 on your practice test I don't think you even need to worry about retaking. A 33 is good! It isn't the 36 that you want but it's still damn good.

10. popopopop

popopopop 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Take, void if necessary, then reschedule for January right away. This is my plan.

About the ads