should i reschedule mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justapremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently signed up for the Apr 5 exam but my studying hasn't gone well (almost nonexistent) and I feel just awful. I realized now I only have 2 months and it doesn't seem enough for me... The only reason I picked the April date is because I wanted to apply as soon as AMCAS opened and so that I could absolutely have the score in my hand by the time I apply... (so I'm not applying with like a 25 without knowing beforehand). But I've taken a practice test recently and it's an awful score. Would it be wise for me to reschedule the MCAT to May 10 instead? Or even now, if I just set 2-3 hours per weekday and some more on weekends persistently till April, should that be enough?? My last final and 2 huge papers will all be turned in by May 5... or is that not enough time b/w May 5th and 10th to calm down and last-min-prep? Even then my score will just be in by June 10th....

Also, I'm taking just 4 classes this semester, which is the least I've ever taken in college. But they're also requiring much more daily preparation for each class, so when I get back to my room after a day of classes, chill a bit, get dinner, and sit down to do work... I'm like well, I have these things to prep for class tomorrow and they'll take just a couple of hours (which it usually takes longer b/c i get distracted), and since they're due tomorrow, I end up doing them first and decide that I'm too tired and out-of-focus to study for the MCAT, which feels like many days away anyway.... which is partly why I've not been studying for the MCAT.... Any help on this one? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you're a bit overwhelmed and you really need to take some deep breaths and put things in perspective. Firstly, taking the MCAT 5 days after all your stuff is due would be foolish. You'll be in school mode 1-2 weeks before your final thing is due and then, though you're burned out, you'll have 5 days to get back into mcat mode. This is unrealistic, so your other options are to take the MCAT a bit earlier (april 18th or 19th, would give you 2 weeks extra studying which only you can decide is enough to get you on track) or to take it a bit later (which would give you a few weeks extra to study, some time to wind down after exams, and a few more weeks to get back into mcat mode after exams).

Even though taking it a bit later would mean turning apps in a bit later, it would also most likely mean a higher score on the mcat, as well as higher grades that semester since it'll ease some of the stress. Turning in your application a few weeks early isn't going to make as much of a difference as getting a few more points on the MCAT/GPA, so if you're this stressed out about the MCAT it makes sense to just take it a bit later.

That being said it won't matter when you take it if you can't work out a schedule that doesn't compromise either your classes or your mcat studying. It seems you're putting the MCAT lower on your priority list because it's further down the line. Maybe start by making it your top priority instead. Do your class prep after you've done your mcat prep. Maybe the immediacy of classes will make you less distracted when studying for those. I really find it difficult to believe that you can't study for the mcat as well as these 4 classes at the same time. Make a schedule and stick to it, and also realize that for the next couple months of your life you'll probably need to make some other sacrifices as well. Good luck.

It depends of you and your abilities. For me, I would postpone. I'm taking the MCAT May 23rd and I know I won't get the scores until a bit later, but it's worth the better score. If you haven't been able to make yourself study yet, what makes you think you can be so disciplined for 2-3 hours a day now?

Thanks for the response!

I am a bit overwhelmed. I had a pretty bad semester this past fall where it was just constant ups and downs, though mostly downs. I feel like I didn't get enough of a mental break over winter break because I ended up spending most of my day at the hospital volunteering for the latter half of my break, though I must say that was definitely a worthwhile experience for me...

I agree. I guess I'll cross May 10th off of my possibility list... May 5th I have a biochem final and 32 pages of papers due, so that probably wouldn't be a good idea... Do you think turning the application in on like June 30th is going to make a difference from turning it in the first week of June? It's just that the only advice I've heard repeatedly about med school admissions is early, early, early.

I think this level of stress this early in the semester has placed me at the top of my procrastination mountain. I don't remember being this unproductive with my time... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, i had nearly this exact same question. i asked my premed advisor and he's been doing that for 30+ years so i figured he had some advice haha. i was thinking about delaying my April 5th date too and then he said that'd be foolish. he said if you don't get the score you want, then at least you find out in advance and then signup to retake it in like July or more likely August. although the first score may be bad, at least it is a SCORE and having one will allow you to still submit your AMCAS materials early like you want. AMCAS won't send out your primaries until they receive your MCAT score. then the schools will still receive your primary and send you their secondaries. fill those out and send those out asap too. then not too long after your 2nd MCAT testdate is coming up, you've had the summer to prepare properly this time, and then you submit your new July/August score to all the med schools you've already applied to. most med schools don't start looking at RD applicants till September anyway so you should be alright on time. you'd probably want to signup for a late July/early August testdate, though.

originally, I thought this was a stupid idea because I thought you should only take the MCAT once and when you're ready. the advisor said "yes you should only take it when you're ready but if you're already signed up it's foolish to cancel it now because if you don't get the score you want you can retake it and now you'll be more experienced with it, too." he backed up his claim that it's okay to retake the MCAT when he told me 80% of med applicants take the MCAT a 2nd time so it's completely normal. his exact words were "if you get a 36 the first time, don't retake it. if you get a 29, then retake it." anyways, i would strongly consider what i just mentioned to you. i initially thought what i thought because i gained most of my knowledge from these SDN forums. he immediately asked "where you are reading all this?? it's completely wrong." i told him adn he said "never take the advice on med admissions from doctors, medical students, or premeds. they do not remember the pain in the butt it is to go through the process." so yea, seriously consider what i told ya. i'd take his 30+ year experience as the main pre-professional advisor over some premeds and current med. students' advice!

the only flaws i see in his advice, though, are 1) if you're wanting to do ED you probably can't do this and 2) some schools i hear screen before sending secondaries so if you have a real ****ty first MCAT score maybe you wouldn't get some secondaries at all. i'm not sure how #2 works...maybe if they did screen you out but then you sent them a much improved July/August MCAT score then they would send you the secondary after?

wow, i had nearly this exact same question. i asked my premed advisor and he's been doing that for 30+ years so i figured he had some advice haha. i was thinking about delaying my April 5th date too and then he said that'd be foolish. he said if you don't get the score you want, then at least you find out in advance and then signup to retake it in like July or more likely August. although the first score may be bad, at least it is a SCORE and having one will allow you to still submit your AMCAS materials early like you want. AMCAS won't send out your primaries until they receive your MCAT score. then the schools will still receive your primary and send you their secondaries. fill those out and send those out asap too. then not too long after your 2nd MCAT testdate is coming up, you've had the summer to prepare properly this time, and then you submit your new July/August score to all the med schools you've already applied to. most med schools don't start looking at RD applicants till September anyway so you should be alright on time. you'd probably want to signup for a late July/early August testdate, though.

originally, I thought this was a stupid idea because I thought you should only take the MCAT once and when you're ready. the advisor said "yes you should only take it when you're ready but if you're already signed up it's foolish to cancel it now because if you don't get the score you want you can retake it and now you'll be more experienced with it, too." he backed up his claim that it's okay to retake the MCAT when he told me 80% of med applicants take the MCAT a 2nd time so it's completely normal. his exact words were "if you get a 36 the first time, don't retake it. if you get a 29, then retake it." anyways, i would strongly consider what i just mentioned to you. i initially thought what i thought because i gained most of my knowledge from these SDN forums. he immediately asked "where you are reading all this?? it's completely wrong." i told him adn he said "never take the advice on med admissions from doctors, medical students, or premeds. they do not remember the pain in the butt it is to go through the process." so yea, seriously consider what i told ya. i'd take his 30+ year experience as the main pre-professional advisor over some premeds and current med. students' advice!

the only flaws i see in his advice, though, are 1) if you're wanting to do ED you probably can't do this and 2) some schools i hear screen before sending secondaries so if you have a real ****ty first MCAT score maybe you wouldn't get some secondaries at all. i'm not sure how #2 works...maybe if they did screen you out but then you sent them a much improved July/August MCAT score then they would send you the secondary after?

relatively good advice, but you need to consider that if by him studying for the MCAT his other classes suffer then it may not be worth it. I personally feel you should do it right the first time. If you decide to take it a second time it's important not to fall into the trap of "oh I know this already i'll move on" when in reality you don't know it as well as you think, you've just maybe seen it before.

I think your pre-med advisor's advice is solid and it's admittedly an option I didn't think of, but I stress my initial point that you don't want other important things such as classes to suffer for the sake of the mcat, just like you don't want the mcat to suffer for the sake of your classes. I don't know the intricacies of the primary app so maybe for the purpose of being complete it's a good idea, but I think it's up to him to decide what he should do.

thanks for the comments!

actually, and very fortunately, it turns out my april 18th conflict is gone, so i will reschedule it to april 18th. it sounds much better than april 5th, to me anyway. and for the past 3-4 days i've actually been relatively good about doing a 1-3 hour MCAT studying and still getting my course work done.

all i needed to do was find myself at a library (no cozy bed, no computer, hence no facebook) and just do it.

thanks for the comments!
all i needed to do was find myself at a library (no cozy bed, no computer, hence no facebook) and just do it.

hahaha um yea. Pick the time when you're most alert and go to the place you're most alert (the library...with no laptop) and get your work done. You'll be fine, just stick with it and if things do start to get a bit overwhelming then consider reviewing rather than learning new things. You likely won't study as effectively if the first time you see something you're thinking about a million other things, but it's still a good time to refresh concepts you've already learned/are already familiar with it. Just make sure your mental breakdowns don't last more than a few days ;)

I would only take it when I feel best prepared. Don't rush this exam!

hahaha um yea. Pick the time when you're most alert and go to the place you're most alert (the library...with no laptop) and get your work done. You'll be fine, just stick with it and if things do start to get a bit overwhelming then consider reviewing rather than learning new things. You likely won't study as effectively if the first time you see something you're thinking about a million other things, but it's still a good time to refresh concepts you've already learned/are already familiar with it. Just make sure your mental breakdowns don't last more than a few days ;)

Haha my fortune cookie today says: The simplest answer is to act.

How true... :laugh:

I take issue with this advice for a very simple reason: Every score you take on the MCAT gets sent to medical schools. Let's see what this means for student A who took the MCAT while unprepared, and student B who didn't take the MCAT and prepped a little longer:

Student A- Your situation, planned, booked and paid for Apr 5, didn't study, and now 8 weeks before the exam is having doubts. Decides to go with the advisor's advice and takes the MCAT. Well let's say student A decides to take a practice test a week before, and scores a 24 on it. Its safe to say that student A will be getting a 24 +/-2 points on test day. Student A now has a bad score, with applications coming up soon (first week in June). He/She must now decide to either send in their app with a bad score (and risk immediate rejection), or wait until they take the test a second time and submit their application only then, with one bad score, and one -hopefully- good one and hope they take mercy and ignore your first bad score.

Student B- Same student, same situation, decides not to take the test, reschedules to another, reasonable, testing session ASAP, creates a study calendar, and gets a friend, family member, tutor, to help keep them on track. Student B schedules their exam for July, a little late since scores wouldn't come back until August. In early june student B sends in the application (schools don't look at it until the MCAT score comes in). With a good study plan in place the student takes the test and does relatively well (say an improvement of 5 points - a 30). Now the school has a hopefully good app, and a decent score to go by. No real flags, or black marks, and you're likely to at least get an interview.

The difference is that in situation B you're not putting extreme or undue stress on yourself by forcing yourself to dig yourself out of a hole. Truth is so many students need to be put in that situation of getting a bad score on the real test in order to be motivated enough to study (hence your advisor's remarks on repeat rates). If you feel like that's you, I suggest you go to your local Kaplan center, explain this situation, and they'll sit you in front of one of their computers for 5 hours to take a practice test. At the end of it just imagine yourself with that score on test day and internalize that feeling.

If that's not motivation enough, then you may need a tutor to push you along and make sure you're hitting your milestones.

Good luck.

The simple fact of the matter is:

Applications open in June. Taking the MCAT in April or May will have no effect on your application.

If you're not ready DON'T take it in April. Plain and simple. It's important enough where you should aim to take it once, and only once.

Guys, this thread is scaring me .... !

1. I already graduated and signed up to take my mcat may 31st ... is that a bad time ???

2. and why are people saying that AMCAS opens in April, I thought it opens in June ?

3. also why are people saying that scores come out in August ? I thought the new computarized MCAT allows the scores to immedialty be posted online in your AMCAs account ??

please reply, Iam about to have a heart attack.

Guys, this thread is scaring me .... !

1. I already graduated and signed up to take my mcat may 31st ... is that a bad time ???

2. and why are people saying that AMCAS opens in April, I thought it opens in June ?

3. also why are people saying that scores come out in August ? I thought the new computarized MCAT allows the scores to immedialty be posted online in your AMCAs account ??

please reply, Iam about to have a heart attack.

you're fine. AMCAs opens in may, you can begin entering information then. However, you can't submit until june. I don't apply for another year, but i highly suggest you do this. I plan on taking it in may of 2009. YOu'll be ok, just make sure that you have your letters of recommendation, transcripts, all of that stuff in order. It is these things that hold back your app. As long as you're complete by late june/early july you should be good. I was paranoid to and did a search and from what i gathered there isn't a great difference from early june to late june/early july.