Should I reschedule my MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LedZepp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my MCAT scheduled for May 1. I’ve been studying for 6 weeks. At this point I’m not feeling especially confident, although I still have another 6 weeks to prepare.

Recently, I’ve decided to take Physics, Organic and Gen.Chem this summer (the latter two being retakes from my freshman year 6 years ago). I’m considering rescheduling my MCAT to a later date. One of the potential dates falls on the last day of summer classes, just before exams begin.

My question is this – is it a good idea to reschedule to the later date considering I will undoubtedly have a better grasp on the required material? The drawback is that I will not have the same preparation time in the weeks approaching the MCAT to build stamina and get mentally prepared. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you are applying in the 2012 cycle? If you are plannig on applying this cycle, I would say take the May exam unless you are having a lot of trouble with the AAMC tests. 6 weeks is more than enough time to change your perspective. On a side note, I was in the same position that it appears you will be in, taking the MCAT without Physics. The first time I took the MCAT I made a 9, then an 11 in the PS section with having only taken HS physics, so don't let people tell you it can't be done. It will just take a lot of focus. I found the BR Physics and EK physics combo to be enough to get me into a steay 11 PS scoring range on the AAMC practice tests and the real thing.