LedZepp

5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I have my MCAT scheduled for May 1. I’ve been studying for 6 weeks. At this point I’m not feeling especially confident, although I still have another 6 weeks to prepare.

Recently, I’ve decided to take Physics, Organic and Gen.Chem this summer (the latter two being retakes from my freshman year 6 years ago). I’m considering rescheduling my MCAT to a later date. One of the potential dates falls on the last day of summer classes, just before exams begin.

My question is this – is it a good idea to reschedule to the later date considering I will undoubtedly have a better grasp on the required material? The drawback is that I will not have the same preparation time in the weeks approaching the MCAT to build stamina and get mentally prepared. Any thoughts?

RedRaider19

Class of 2015
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm assuming you are applying in the 2012 cycle? If you are plannig on applying this cycle, I would say take the May exam unless you are having a lot of trouble with the AAMC tests. 6 weeks is more than enough time to change your perspective. On a side note, I was in the same position that it appears you will be in, taking the MCAT without Physics. The first time I took the MCAT I made a 9, then an 11 in the PS section with having only taken HS physics, so don't let people tell you it can't be done. It will just take a lot of focus. I found the BR Physics and EK physics combo to be enough to get me into a steay 11 PS scoring range on the AAMC practice tests and the real thing.