should I retake bio if my bio was 8?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my mcat bio science was 8, I am sure that there are some who got accepted in med. school who also had 8.

Now I am just wondering if that means that my bio basic knowledge is not solid enough, therefore, I may have trouble later on in med. school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally don't believe that the MCATs are indicative of how well a certain student will do in medical school. I also don't happen to believe that the MCATs are accurate predictors of a student's performance on the USMLE Step 1.

Your score of 8 tells me little of your basic fund of knowledge in the Biological Sciences, in this instance, Biology and Organic Chemistry. What it does sort of tell me is that your way of thinking and integrating loosely taught information in college is about on par (50th percentile) with the rest of the nation's MCAT test takers.

People have been accepted with 8s in Bio, but I'd take it again and go for a 10.

Good luck.

An 8 on bio does not mean Bio is your worst subject...
(It might be true but does not reflect specificly)

Retakeing depends more on you overall score...

Personally my worst score was physics or inorganic or whatever is was called.. but physics is a strenght, I jsut got lots of radiation questions and didn't remember alpha vs beta particles...

-DjMd

I took the MCAT last year and got an 8 on bio. This score was significantly lower than the other two sections, likely due to the fact that I'd only taken the intro bio classes prior to taking the exam. I didn't get in last year, but my in-state med school suggested that I should take additional bio coursework and not worry about the MCAT again. As a result, I just received an acceptance from said school (UT-Memphis) to join the class of 2006.

The short version of what I'm trying to say is this: contact the schools in which you're most interested and ask them what they think you should do. Personally, I greatly preferred taking seven additional classes than having to enter MCAT hell for a second time.