Should I retake both or one Organic Chemistry class before I apply to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jnaujo00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a C in the 1st semester organic chemistry class, and a B- in the second semester Organic Chemistry class. I really want to go to medical school. Should I retake both classes, just one of them, or not worry about it and continue to the MCAT, etc? My GPA is a 3.7 and the rest of my classes are all A's and B's for my entire academic career. I'm also presently interning at a cancer research company. I would like to go to either Tampa Bay Florida, San Francisco or Sacramento Cali. I would be an out of state applicant. I appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a C in the 1st semester organic chemistry class, and a B- in the second semester Organic Chemistry class. I really want to go to medical school. Should I retake both classes, just one of them, or not worry about it and continue to the MCAT, etc? My GPA is a 3.7 and the rest of my classes are all A's and B's for my entire academic career. I'm also presently interning at a cancer research company. I would like to go to either Tampa Bay Florida, San Francisco or Sacramento Cali. I would be an out of state applicant. I appreciate the advice.

what is your sGPA as of now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn''t retake a class unless you got lower than a C. If you are applying to DO schools it might slightly help to retake the C for grade replacement, but I think retaking a B is highly unecessary unless your GPA is super low. Your GPA is fairly competitive as it is for MD schools and super competitive for most DO schools. As long as you excelled in other UD science courses after OChem, you'd be fine with any decision you make.

Thank goodness!! I'm about to graduate this semester, and I really don't feel like being set back yet again just for one class. I'm already set back on my study schedule for the MCAT, but for very good beneficial reasons though. Thanks so much for the advice. The only thing that stinks is that I really want to go to San Francisco, Cali, which is one of the top med schools, and now I think I'm pretty much out of the game there. I'll still apply anyway, but I just feel like my competitive advantage might be really low. I'm presently doing an internship with a cancer research company, so hopefully this will help me in regards to that med school.

I think with a 32+ you can be competitive for UCSF. I think they really look for diversity there because most applicants will have a decent GPA and MCAT. If your ECs and unique and strong and essays are amazing I think you have a shot. Just try to look unique and set yourself apart. You don't want to be a cookie cutter applicant in California.