Should I retake DAT? Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTooth99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need some help deciding what to do.

I took DAT in August and scored a 19AA: 21 PAT, 20 RC, 18 QR, 24 Ochem, 18 GC, 17 Bio. I have a 3.64 GPA (all As and Bs) and am a bio major (was very shocked by the 17 on this section of DAT). 300+ shadowing hours, 500+ volunteer hours, worked as a TA, office assistant for the nursing dept on campus for 3 years, office assistant for a private family office for 3 years (at times I worked 3 jobs between my day job and night time babysitting). I am involved on campus, honors program, volunteer at food pantry, hold a leadership position in an organization (3+ years), have research, presented at a research conference, etc. I have a lot of extracurriculars/community involvement on my app.

I applied to two schools this cycle and was rejected from both. I received an interview at my in-state school, but was rejected without interview from the out of state school last week. I spoke with my in-state school's assistant dean of admissions and she said that conversations like these were hard because there isn't anything that stands out as to why I didn't get in. She told me I was a strong applicant. I asked about post-bac and she said "no, your grades are good", but made a note on my app/file that I asked about it. She said my LORs were all good and that I can use the same people when re-applying, but to get them to add the new stuff I have done. She said I could consider a DAT retake if money wasn't an issue and I truly thought I could do better, but that she wasn't telling me I had to. She said my scores are right at their average this cycle (20AA/20PAT) and to let them know when I made a decision if I am going to retake DAT or not.

I really don't know what to do. I am afraid to retake the DAT and do worse, but I don't want to not take it and that hurt my chances of getting in if it looks like I didn't try everything I could to get in this upcoming cycle. Then again, I know people who got into dental school with scores lower than mine, so I am just really lost with what the best decision is.

I have been volunteering at a dental clinic this semester and have been able to assist, work the front desk, take X-rays, and sterilize instruments. I graduate in May and am hoping to get a job as a dental assistant or work in the front office of a dental office. Will this and continuing to volunteer/shadow be enough "new" stuff on my application or do I need to retake DAT given my average stats? I plan to apply to at least 4 schools this cycle. Also... I'm supposed to be getting married this summer, but am willing to push it back if I have to study for DAT.

Thank you in advance for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I need some help deciding what to do.

I took DAT in August and scored a 19AA: 21 PAT, 20 RC, 18 QR, 24 Ochem, 18 GC, 17 Bio. I have a 3.64 GPA (all As and Bs) and am a bio major (was very shocked by the 17 on this section of DAT). 300+ shadowing hours, 500+ volunteer hours, worked as a TA, office assistant for the nursing dept on campus for 3 years, office assistant for a private family office for 3 years (at times I worked 3 jobs between my day job and night time babysitting). I am involved on campus, honors program, volunteer at food pantry, hold a leadership position in an organization (3+ years), have research, presented at a research conference, etc. I have a lot of extracurriculars/community involvement on my app.

I applied to two schools this cycle and was rejected from both. I received an interview at my in-state school, but was rejected without interview from the out of state school last week. I spoke with my in-state school's assistant dean of admissions and she said that conversations like these were hard because there isn't anything that stands out as to why I didn't get in. She told me I was a strong applicant. I asked about post-bac and she said "no, your grades are good", but made a note on my app/file that I asked about it. She said my LORs were all good and that I can use the same people when re-applying, but to get them to add the new stuff I have done. She said I could consider a DAT retake if money wasn't an issue and I truly thought I could do better, but that she wasn't telling me I had to. She said my scores are right at their average this cycle (20AA/20PAT) and to let them know when I made a decision if I am going to retake DAT or not.

I really don't know what to do. I am afraid to retake the DAT and do worse, but I don't want to not take it and that hurt my chances of getting in if it looks like I didn't try everything I could to get in this upcoming cycle. Then again, I know people who got into dental school with scores lower than mine, so I am just really lost with what the best decision is.

I have been volunteering at a dental clinic this semester and have been able to assist, work the front desk, take X-rays, and sterilize instruments. I graduate in May and am hoping to get a job as a dental assistant or work in the front office of a dental office. Will this and continuing to volunteer/shadow be enough "new" stuff on my application or do I need to retake DAT given my average stats? I plan to apply to at least 4 schools this cycle. Also... I'm supposed to be getting married this summer, but am willing to push it back if I have to study for DAT.

Thank you in advance for the help :)
retake only if you know you can do better
you should apply to more than 2 schools
apply broadly and wisely, and you will have a better shot...

Reactions: 2 users
First off, congrats on the wedding! Now, as macsak said, definitely apply to more schools. My first go around I made the mistake of only applying to 2 schools, until about October when I added two more, and got three rejections and one waitlist. This cycle I applied to 5 essentially out of the gate and got interviews at both of my state schools, one waitlist and one acceptance. In all honesty, 5 is still a bit low, so I’d suggest more than that. You have a great GPA and excellent ECs, apply broadly and you will be just fine!

Reactions: 1 user
First off, congrats on the wedding! Now, as macsak said, definitely apply to more schools. My first go around I made the mistake of only applying to 2 schools, until about October when I added two more, and got three rejections and one waitlist. This cycle I applied to 5 essentially out of the gate and got interviews at both of my state schools, one waitlist and one acceptance. In all honesty, 5 is still a bit low, so I’d suggest more than that. You have a great GPA and excellent ECs, apply broadly and you will be just fine!
Thank you! I should have applied to more schools this cycle, but couldn't see myself at any school other than my top choice back when I applied. Now my mindset has changed and I can't see myself in any other career than dentistry regardless of the school that gets me there. I just want to get in somewhere lol. I will definitely be applying to more schools this cycle. Thanks again :)

Reactions: 1 user