Should I retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys:
I am new here and this is my first time posting on this forum. I have one question that I would like to hear your suggestion. I am applying to dental school this year( sent in my application in late September). My DAT is 22/17. I am a CA resident, and I really want to stay in CA. I am wondering whether I should retake DAT becuase all California schools( UCSF, UOP, UCLA, USC) have really high average DAT. Thank you so much for you opinions and help.

ccss

Members don't see this ad.

Hello
I think you have great scores. However, I agree--California does have some high DAT marks!
I am not sure of most of the CA schools, but I think UOP may say no just because of the 17 PAT.
only 10% of the class has an 18 on the DATs.
How is your GPA? If you have a great GPA, I doubt you need to worry about retaking it!

I have the exactly the same score as you on DAT!! I am a CA resident as well. I think you can just go for it with this score. They look into your other activities as well, like community service, experience, leadership skills etc, and of course, GPA. If you are outstanding in any one area, you should be able to get interviews from a few schools.

I am not sure about UOP though, I heard they prefer students with high PAT scores....that's why i didn't apply there...

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys:
Thank you so much for your reply. My GPA is 3.65 . I think I will probably not retake the test cuz I took my last DAT in September and I won't be able to take it again until December. Other people told me taking DAT in Dec is way too late and won't help much. ( I sent out my primary application is late September) So, I guess I will just settle down with my current DAT score.
:)

Dang....we have the same GPA too..what the heck...

When did you submit your AADSAS? if you submit early like June or July, it should help and I think people who submit around that time are getting interviews from these CA schools..

I sent out my AADSAS on Sep 22...( yeah..I know it's really late..Ouch..) I don't expect to receive any interview until Jan or Feb 2003. So, if I really want to torture myself and retake DAT in Dec, it is possible that dental schools will receive my new score before interview. But, that's just my hope....

Does anyone know people getting into UCSF, or UCLA with a 17 on the PAT?

I don't think a 17 on the PAT will hurt you too much with UCSF or UCLA, since you have a strong Academic Average on the DAT. And plus your GPA is very good. But it may hurt you in getting into UOP b/c they look at the PAT score heavily. To them its more important than the academic average and gpa.

What other schools besides UOP that put a huge emphasis on PAT score? Do schools like Columbia and U Penn have high average PAT score? Thanks everyone for your opinion. :)

I just returned from UPENN..and I have Columbia coming up..so i don't think you will have a problem getting int erview their..

Remember that i also got 17 on PAT

Hey ccss, can you post which schools you are applying too...i have a feeling that you are applying similar schools than me!:laugh:

UCSF, UCLA, USC, UOP, U Penn, Columbia, Harvard, Pitt, NYU, U Wash, Temple, BU , Tufts..