Should I retake MCAT? 9|9|8 26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LanJevinson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats:
cGPA: 3.21, sGPA: 3.31, MCAT: 26.
My last 3 semesters I averaged a 3.6 GPA.
Also, I'm a NJ resident and will be graduating from Rutgers NB this December.

Since my GPA is a bit lower than average, I was shooting for a 30 MCAT. Practice tests averaged 29 and I ended up with a 26 when I took it on 7/25/14.

As for ECs, I have 100+ hours volunteering in an emergency room and with American Red Cross. Also, I have strong LORs, including one from the DO I shadowed.

I've already filled out 7 secondary applications. I applied to 6 more schools but they were waiting for my MCAT scores before having me complete a secondary. I assume I'll recieve secondaries from all 6 since I didn't score below an 8 in any category?

Here's my school lists...
Ones I've already submitted secondaries for:
ATSU-SOMA, NSU-COM, WVU-SOM, PCOM, ROWAN-SOM, KYCOM, NYIT-COM

Ones waiting for MCAT:
VCOM-SC, LUCOM, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, TOURO-NY, TOURO-CA

I would like to schedule a retake in late October/early November so I have 2-3 months to prepare. Is it in my best interest to schedule a retake? If so, when is the best time to retake? Also, will the schools be able to see my new score immediately or do I have to inform them individually that I retook it?

I'm pretty distraught over this and would appreciate any all advice (given you aren't being rude/demeaning). Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are eyeing for AZCOM, CCOM, or Touro, (All seeking high MCAT scores) then your scores are fine. I would not suggest a retake because you have a balanced score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My stats:

Since my GPA is a bit lower than average, I was shooting for a 30 MCAT. Practice tests averaged 29 and I ended up with a 26 when I took it on 7/25/14.

As for ECs, I have 100+ hours volunteering in an emergency room and with American Red Cross. Also, I have strong LORs, including one from the DO I shadowed.

I've already filled out 7 secondary applications. I applied to 6 more schools but they were waiting for my MCAT scores before having me complete a secondary. I assume I'll recieve secondaries from all 6 since I didn't score below an 8 in any category?

Ones waiting for MCAT:

I would like to schedule a retake in late October/early November so I have 2-3 months to prepare. Is it in my best interest to schedule a retake? If so, when is the best time to retake? Also, will the schools be able to see my new score immediately or do I have to inform them individually that I retook it?

I'm pretty distraught over this and would appreciate any all advice (given you aren't being rude/demeaning). Thanks in advance!!
Just apply more broadly. Add ACOM LMU, KCOM, Campbell, Touro-Nv and Marian. There is a seat waiting for you somewhere, but be willing to tolerate a fair number of rejections and waitlists on your way to that acceptance.

Do not retake unless you are aiming for more competitive schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My stats:

Ones waiting for MCAT:

You are fine where you are at. Maybe lacking in non-clinical/non-medically related EC's, but not a significant red flag.

I don't think you need to retake, upward trends of GPA are viewed favorably and your GPA's aren't on the 3.0 threshold. Relax and give your secondaries the quality attention they need and you should get a few interviews. I would also think you would get some regional love from some of the schools you applied to.

If you decide to retake, wait until you are scoring 32+ on practice exams consistently, because the retake needs to be a sure thing and risking a lower score isn't worth it.

Unless you are eyeing for AZCOM, CCOM, or Touro, (All seeking high MCAT scores) then your scores are find. I would not suggest a retake because you have a balanced score.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm ideally trying to get into PCOM, Rowan, NSU, or one of the LECOMS. All of which have higher average stats than mine. I think my only shot at NSU or Rowan is if I retake. Also, my stats are so borderline that it's really a toss-up for almost any school, so I have zero feeling of safety.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm ideally trying to get into PCOM, Rowan, NSU, or one of the LECOMS. All of which have higher average stats than mine. I think my only shot at NSU or Rowan is if I retake. Also, my stats are so borderline that it's really a toss-up for almost any school, so I have zero feeling of safety.

You're only a little below the matriculant averages for DOs. I wouldn't worry too much. If you retake the MCAT, only do so if you are consistently getting MUCH higher on full length practice tests. In other words, you should be getting consistently 30+. If you can't do that, don't risk it, however, if you can and you feel good during the test, go for it.

That said, I think it's possible you'll get into one of the schools you want, but it doesn't hurt to also apply to some of the newer schools.

The only school that I know of that will cut you per-secondary is KCUMB because of their hard 3.25 GPA requirement.

A medical student is telling you that you will be fine so I'd take heed of their advice.

Hey guys, I had a very similar question and didn't want to start another thread. I got my mcat score today, and I also score 26 (8vr,9ps,9bs) but my gpa is around 2.9. I have letters of recs, as well as 175 hours of volunteering. I also have a good excuse for my low gpa (immigrated to the U.S. when I was 17 and didn't speak very good English). What do you guys think my chances are? should I retake the test? Thanks

Hey guys, I had a very similar question and didn't want to start another thread. I got my mcat score today, and I also score 26 (8vr,9ps,9bs) but my gpa is around 2.9. I have letters of recs, as well as 175 hours of volunteering. I also have a good excuse for my low gpa (immigrated to the U.S. when I was 17 and didn't speak very good English). What do you guys think my chances are? should I retake the test? Thanks

Do not retake the MCAT unless you believe you can score well above what you received.

Retake the courses that you did not do well in at a community college and/or four year university. Perhaps AdComs will give you leeway with you being URM in terms of GPA? In order for you to be competitive I would say you need a GPA that is at least or more than a 3.0. That's literally taking 1 or 2 courses. Good luck!

Do not retake the MCAT unless you believe you can score well above what you received.

Retake the courses that you did not do well in at a community college and/or four year university. Perhaps AdComs will give you leeway with you being URM in terms of GPA? In order for you to be competitive I would say you need a GPA that is at least or more than a 3.0. That's literally taking 1 or 2 courses. Good luck!
Thanks for your response! I was sure that I would get a better score than 26, but I had really bad luck on the test date and started the test 10 mins late and in a very nervous and frantic state. I also spent the last two semesters retaking classes (generally positive trend after my sophomore year), there are still a couple of Cs that I could retake and make them As. But I was wondering if you guys think I have a shot for this year's application! What about applying for one of those masters programs that automatically gets you in? should I just apply to those?

Thanks for your response! I was sure that I would get a better score than 26, but I had really bad luck on the test date and started the test 10 mins late and in a very nervous and frantic state. I also spent the last two semesters retaking classes (generally positive trend after my sophomore year), there are still a couple of Cs that I could retake and make them As. But I was wondering if you guys think I have a shot for this year's application! What about applying for one of those masters programs that automatically gets you in? should I just apply to those?

Hmm unless you can knock out those retakes this semester than I'd say wait next year. But if you can do them ASAP then fill out your application right now and start working on that personal statement.

I think the best bet is to take the year to retake the courses, volunteer, shadow a DO, and just build your application. That way when you do apply you have the strongest application possible which per @Goro is the most important and best thing one can do to increase they chances of acceptance.

Hope this help!

Let's say I do decide to retake this, given I'm scoring higher and all, when would be the latest possible I should retake? I know I can't take it past January but I feel like January might be too late. Any ideas?

Let's say I do decide to retake this, given I'm scoring higher and all, when would be the latest possible I should retake? I know I can't take it past January but I feel like January might be too late. Any ideas?

A end of November or early December MCAT should keep you in the running for this cycle I believe. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

As of right now your MCAT is not the problem. You need to retake courses until your GPAs are above 3.0. If you can't fit in the course retakes now, then you can retake the MCAT ONLY if you are sure you will do better. Remember, there's no guarantee that you won't have "bad luck" on your retake test day.

Either way, you need to wait until next year to apply, and you absolutely need to bring up your GPAs, or you simply won't get in.

I wouldn't do an MS or med school post-bac until at least applying and failing to get in outright. They're great if you do well, but will ruin any chances of you getting into a US med school of you don't. With a higher GPA, it's likely you could get in if you apply early and broadly.

So the only way I can retake the MCAT before January 2015 is if I drive 6 hours away. Otherwise, I have to wait until January 10th 2015. This is beginning to look bleak. How bad would it hurt my chances if i waited until January? Bad enough to drive 12 hours round trip for this test?

get a hotel the night before and take it in january.

get a hotel the night before and take it in january.

If I take it in January it's only an hour away. My only shot at taking it before January would be driving 6 hours. Is that what you meant?

If I take it in January it's only an hour away. My only shot at taking it before January would be driving 6 hours. Is that what you meant?
People always cancel so if you sign up now, possible you can get open slot but you need to keep checking everyday.

People always cancel so if you sign up now, possible you can get open slot but you need to keep checking everyday.

I thought I would take your advice a bit early and a seat opened up in Philly (an hour away) on October 25th so i just took it! Best advice ever lol.

My stats:

Ones waiting for MCAT:

For the schools waiting for your new MCAT - is it because you told them you plan on retaking? Or did they say they wouldn't consider you with your current score and suggested a retake?

Good luck in october!

For the schools waiting for your new MCAT - is it because you told them you plan on retaking? Or did they say they wouldn't consider you with your current score and suggested a retake?

Good luck in october!

No it's because I didn't have any mcat score yet when my primary was submitted. And thank you for the luck!

No it's because I didn't have any mcat score yet when my primary was submitted. And thank you for the luck!

Ok, thanks! Was worried they wouldn't consider you with a 26 which doesn't seem like "such" a terrible score. Either way, seems like you're in good shape for this cycle, good luck again :)

I probably wouldn't apply to DOs. You are more than competitive for MD programs.

good luck.

Once again, sarcasm slips past another SDNer....

You really just couldn't help yourself but to patronize my MCAT score after I specifically requested in my original post for no rude/demeaning comments? I'm sure you've been helpful on here in the past, but you weren't being remotely helpful here. Your intent seemed malicious and I really don't appreciate it.

You really just couldn't help yourself but to patronize my MCAT score after I specifically requested in my original post for no rude/demeaning comments? I'm sure you've been helpful on here in the past, but you weren't being remotely helpful here. Your intent seemed malicious and I really don't appreciate it.

Alright, here's my advice, given that I was actually in your shoes not far back.

I submitted my application much later in the year, like around November.
I was scheduled for a MCAT re-take in January of the year I was planning to enter.
I applied to every DO school, got five interviews and was accepted to two.
My previous score was a 30 (which had expired) but I ended up dropping two points and scoring a 28.

If I were you, I would re-take. A 26 IMO is marginal at many schools. You will probably get in somewhere, but I am inclined to say that you won't have many (if but one) options. But that's a personal issue--how strong do you feel?

My other advice concerns your study materials. Use these:
EK Complete study package
EK Audio Osmosis (the Verbal study recommendations on here are VERY important).
TBR Practice Tests
EK Practice Tests
EK 101 Passages in MCAT verbal
Every AAMC Practice Test
The Gold Standard Practice Tests
EK 1001 Questions in MCAT Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and O-chem

That's it, and good luck.

I would say only retake if you think you can really improve 2-3 points otherwise I think your balanced 26 should be good enough, your GPAs both aren't bad. My stats are very similar to yours. sGPA 3.21, cGPA 3.41 MCAT 26 (unbalanced, 6 in verbal) and I have 2 IIs so far. I think if you apply broadly you could land some interviews. On the plus side, you are already verified and have finished several secondaries at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a very balanced score for most DO programs. As said above do not retake unless you see yourself jumping at least 3-5 points higher. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Not to bump a super old thread, but I ultimately got a 506 (127,125,128,126) and retook some classes to bring my GPA's up to 3.4c, 3.5s. Got a bunch of interviews and acceptances. So it looks like I'll be attending Nova, although I'm still waiting to hear back from Rowan.

I retook and got the same score the second time, waited for the new MCAT to come out, studied longer, took that, 506, good enough, the end.

Let this be a lesson to anyone thinking of taking the MCAT with only a limited amount of time to prepare... make sure it's ENOUGH time. Turns out 2 months wasn't enough for me, and 3 months was good enough (I would have loved to prepare longer). Also, make sure you feel more than prepared, because there is always a portion of your outcome that just comes down to luck (i.e. if you understand all the passages/get mostly questions you know).

Hey, so how did your previous app cycles turn out? Loll just a short summary. Because it seems to me like the MCAT score didn't change by much, nor the GPA.

Hey, so how did your previous app cycles turn out? Loll just a short summary. Because it seems to me like the MCAT score didn't change by much, nor the GPA.

My first app cycle I had zero interviews.

This is my second and I had 5 interviews, 3 acceptances, one waitlist.

Mcat score went roughly from 26 to 29.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Which school are you deciding to attend?

Did you apply earlier and more broadly the second time around?