Should I retake MCAT this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afujiwa3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my score today, and it was disappointing. I got 130/123/124/127/504.

What was really surprising was on the AAMC sample test two days before, I scored 71%/83%/73%/89%, which on reddit corresponds to a 126/128/127/128/509. I'm not surprised I did better in the first section; I was being distracted by my family when I did it. Also the week before, I scored 510 on the AAMC scored test.

It was honestly a pacing thing and halfway through the CARS section I thought I was running out of time and started rushing. I guess it messed me up on the bio section too. I am confident I could do better, and I'm wondering if I should retake on aug 20 and receive grades back sept 20. Or if I should just think about applying again next cycle.

I am a NC resident, and I have already applied to East Carolina University. I wanted my application to be verified, so I could apply faster. I guess there's no backing out now right? The only thing I have left to do is meet my premed advisor, and get a committee letter. Then, my application is complete minus secondaries. My GPA is 3.5 and I have lots of clinical experience as a medical scribe and volunteer at a free clinic.

So should I do a fast retake and keep applying or delay for a year. No DO or Caribbean schools.

Members don't see this ad.

As described above rushing an MCAT retake this late is not a good idea. You already have one score that's close to 1 SD below MD average two low scores as opposed to 1 certainly wouldn't help to say the least.

You have some chance at Brody who traditionally interviews half of NC applicants. Brody is also traditionally a school that takes about 40% of their class as reapplicanta suggesting they are reapp friendly. Let that be your one app this cycle and see how it goes. Study hard for a retake next cycle if MD is your end goal.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I will apply to a few schools where I have a chance like wake forest and George Washington. So the point of not retaking the mcat is because it's too late and multiple retakes look bad? Should I hold back on applying to schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I will apply to a few schools where I have a chance like wake forest and George Washington. So the point of not retaking the mcat is because it's too late and multiple retakes look bad? Should I hold back on applying to schools?

If you get another disappointing MCAT score then you'll feel compelled to take it a third time, and nobody wants to go through an application cycle with three MCAT attempts. Grapes is right, go ahead and apply to ECU this year. They only take NC residents, and you're 504 is actually slightly above the median for their applicants.

Wake and GWU are private schools with large applicant pools, and both have matriculant medians around the national average (i.e. 6-8 points above yours). You are unlikely to get traction at either place.

Reactions: 1 users
But that wasn't the question. how is 2 bad? if i get a good score then that's gotta be a good thing. if it is the sameish then I will retake in a few months after reviewing and studying thoroughly, but I really think it could work as long as I pace myself on the test. Everything is still fresh on my mind. I hate to feel like I am giving up when I only messed up on one section in which I usually do well. I'm going to be a reapplicant if I get a low mcat score, so I will have something to improve on between now and the next app cycle. I'm just not seeing why I shouldn't.

Yes 2 bad attempts is worse than 1. 3 bad attempts is worse than 2. It's the same logic behind retaking classes: getting an A on a first attempt is far superior to D the first time with an A only on the retake. Same in all realms of life. Screwing up twice is definitely worse than just once. It's fairly intuitive.

All scores are always visible. The more bad scores you have the harder it is to say your highest score on a later attempt is truly representative of your capabilities and not the previous poor attempts. You can't just keep retaking the MCAT and only expect the highest score to matter

Wakes 10th percentile is around a 30. You are at 27-28. Trying to beat out 15k apps with <10th percentile stats at GW isn't likely to be a fruitful strategy either

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Following this thread
I got a 504 (127/124/125/128)- a little more balanced than OP's score, CA resident lots of research and a 3.64 cgpa
Where can I apply?

Last edited:
Following this thread
I got a 504 (127/124/125/128), CA resident lots of research and a 3.64 cgpa
Where can I apply?
Are you looking to stay in California or are you open to other states?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you looking to stay in California or are you open to other states?

Would preferably like to stay in California , I know the UCs will be a reach for me with my MCAT but I believe my research might help get to the door (abstracts, presentations, publication, LOR) so I plan on applying to them. I will also be applying to Western and Tourco-CA for DO schools

do you have any recommendations for other MD schools? I'm open to OOS

3.5 and 504?

Sorry to say it, but if you apply this year only to MD schools you're likely going to be reapplying again. Keep that in mind

Yes, the UCs will probably be a reach, but you can always see. Having DO backups is definitely a good idea.

You might want to try OOS private schools that have smaller applicant pools. Generally speaking, a 504 could be a tough sell for a public OOS school. It might also be overlooked by schools that have tons of applicants. Do you have the MSAR?

I would say it has a rather negative impact and can easily overshadowed the rest of your application

Will a 124 in cars get me screened out at schools?
I have a 504 overall (127/124/125/128) I know it's not the best score but it's pretty balanced and I have impressive ECs so I'd like to give the application cycle a try

I would say it has a rather negative impact and can easily overshadowed the rest of your application
Not to be rude, but that's not at all true. A 123 would easily get screened out at many schools. Luckily they aren't applying in Canada where it would prevent them from applying at every school except a couple....
But I would absolutely rewrite a 123 because even a 124 would probably prevent a good number of the screen-outs

My colleague also applying has a 517, but a 123 in CARS... Should I tell her she won't have a chance due to being auto-screened by a computer, as you say?
I'm not an adcom so I cant' tell you what she should do, but yes, if I were her I would re-write without question. There's basically nowhere she can go but up

Should I apply to any other schools? Like UNC?

So, I'm planning on a postbacc for the next year and an mcat retake in Jan. Should I even bother applying to more than ecu this cycle?