Should I retake MCAT? What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Djmed17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Too late for MD schools this cycle.....as for DO you may have a chance there but Cali is an "unlucky" state you need like a 510/3.5 and up to get into a DO school. Being a URM may help because med school admissions is different for URMs in regards to stats but again its a crapshoot with cali

im sure people like @Goro and @gyngyn are better suited to answer but i think thats a short and clear cut answer. Maybe apply DO but don't get your hopes up because cali is just really tough

Members don't see this ad :)
Too late for MD schools this cycle.....as for DO you may have a chance there but Cali is an "unlucky" state you need like a 510/3.5 and up to get into a DO school. Being a URM may help because med school admissions is different for URMs in regards to stats but again its a crapshoot with cali

im sure people like @Goro and @gyngyn are better suited to answer but i think thats a short and clear cut answer. Maybe apply DO but don't get your hopes up because cali is just really tough

Bolded is not true for for Touro-CA or Westerm. not any other DO school.

Ahh see i thought you meant this cycle hah i mean a 507 is obviously nothing to sneeze at but even though the DO cycle is longer, a september app would need a higher mcat but if you apply early I think all the above can say you'll end up in a school by the end of next cycle

And applying next cycle*
Its still not late this cycle for DO. You are a competitive candidate as far GPA/MCAT. Apply Touro Cali and Nevada, PNWU, Western Pomona and Oregon. Chances are you will get in somewhere if you have your personal statement ready and you have science and non science LORs.

Thanks! I'm pretty set on applying next cycle though just because I want to get some more good volunteer experiences and clinical hours. So do you think I'd be competitive enough next cycle to have a shot at multiple DO interviews (maybe a even an MD)? If I didn't get into California schools I'd like to have at least a few options out of state.... mainly was looking at AZCOM, PCOM, CCOM, and the New York DO schools.
Tuition is pretty high for AZCOM. Your MCAT score is on low side for MD but try UC Davis. I think you are a good candidate for next year.

Yeah I mean the data according to AACOMAS matriculants in 2016 had the national average at 502 so I was kind of thinking my 507 plus other stats and ECs would give me a good shot? Do you disagree that 3.5/510.5 is what I should be aiming for for DO?
I think that being Mexican-American helps your chances a lot. But have a few DO schools on your list for insurance.

With your stats, for MD, I recommend:
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
UCLA

Do you evidence of commitment to under served communities?

Hi. I am bilingual with plans on more volunteer community service. Would you suggest a retake or are these stats enough to get me multiple DO interviews and possibly a couple MD? If not then I will retake
You will be fine for MD with a 507.