Should I Retake MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnMan92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I took the MCAT twice.
old MCAT in January 2015: 29 overall (11 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)
new MCAT April 2016: 507 overall ( 131 Chem, 123 Verb, 128 Bio, 125 Psych)
Should I retake the test one more time and improve my verbal and psych if I want to get into MD schools?

Science GPA: 3.96
Cumulative GPA: 3.84
EC: Research (1 year), Tutor/Prep Course Instructor (4 years), Summer Camp Counselor for Children with cancer ( 2 summers), Hospital Volunteer/Internship (2 years), Volunteer Clinical trips to Mexico (2 years), Student Government (1 year)

Members don't see this ad.

Verbal is equivalent to a 6 on the old scale.

That might be an auto-reject from most MD schools even with your amazing GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal is equivalent to a 6 on the old scale.

That might be an auto-reject from most MD schools even with your amazing GPA.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Since I took the old MCAT once and the new MCAT once, would it hurt too take the MCAT one more time since I've only taken each version once?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Since I took the old MCAT once and the new MCAT once, would it hurt too take the MCAT one more time since I've only taken each version once?

Yeah it's tough since your science scores are both very solid. Try asking in pre-allo, you should get more response.

Yeah it's tough since your science scores are both very solid. Try asking in pre-allo, you should get more response.

Take it once more, but not until you're ready. Apply very broadly to BOTH MD and DO schools.

I was in your position with 3.9 cGPA and low verbal scores, and had taken the MCAT 4 times with my last score being 32 (PS 12 VR 8 BS 12). Result: 1 II MD out of 20 schools and 4 II DO out of 6 schools. Going to a top DO school in the end.

The MD schools really care about the balanced MCAT score, but the DO schools, including the top ones, didn't really care as much.